Unforeseen Circumstances

Listen to the song please because it makes me cry lol ily all READ ON
Hermione

I made very slow work of getting back to the common room to change early Monday morning, partly because I was exhausted, but mostly because I didn't want to see Draco.

Ginny and I had stayed up most of the night, talking about Harry and Draco, but mostly Ron. Ginny explained in great detail how she had given him a piece of her mind when they left the Great Hall. Once I had jokingly expressed that I was forever indebted to her, we drank to our gratitude for each other. By that I mean we swallowed our weight in firewhiskey.

So now, not only was I tired and walking to my doom, but I was hungover. I muttered the password, "Fortuna Major," and was about to climb through the portrait hole when I heard, "Miss Granger?" I stopped, looking around before my eyes finally landed on the portrait of Dumbledore, who chuckled. The twinkle that would remain forever in his eyes behind his half-moon glasses made my heart ache.

But his face became solemn quickly, and I did my best to match the headmaster's serious expression. "I do believe you ought to check on Mr. Malfoy–"

My breath caught in my throat. "Is he alright? Has something happened to him?" I interrupted the professor, but his patience exceeded my curiosity.

"Miss Granger, he made quite the racket all night, throwing things and yelling and such. He became quiet rather suddenly, hence my unease." He explained.

My eyes widened with every word he spoke. I had to get in there. Next to Harry and Ginny, Draco was my best friend. We were there for each other the past few nights when no one else could be.

"Thank you, professor!" I rushed into the common room and stopped short at the sight in front of me. My jaw hit the floor.

Our common room was nothing as it had been when I'd left it yesterday morning. Lamps and vases were shattered on the ground, and ashes from the fire were spread around the room. Books had been thrown clear across the room from the bookshelf, and throw pillows were ripped to shreds, the stuffing scattered about. A white blanket hung from the banister at the top of the staircase, reading, Slytherins Are Sexy, in green paint that must have been done by wand. Flipped chairs and coffee tables were askew in random places, and a bottle of firewhiskey, bigger than the one Ginny and I polished off last night, was on its side by the couch. On said couch lay a rather disheveled looking blonde boy, wearing a Slytherin tie wrapped around his head and school robes with the sleeves torn off. He had one leg swung over the back of the couch, and yet another bottle of firewhiskey was touching the floor, barely held up in Draco Malfoy's limp hand.

I ran a hand through my messy brown curls, then pulled both hands over my face. This was going to be a rough clean up, and I sure as hell wasn't going to be doing it alone. I quickly sent a Patronus message to the teachers of our first two classes, explaining that we would be late due to unforeseen circumstances.

Stepping over piles of pillow stuffing and textbook pages, I reached the couch and stood over Draco, my hands on my hips. I shook my head. "Merlin, how does anybody take this?" I groaned. Leaning over, I poked Draco in the arm, hard. He didn't even stir. I rolled my eyes. This was going to be a lot harder than I'd hoped. I jabbed him again, on the forehead this time. Still nothing. I exhaled through my nose loudly, before a lightbulb went off above my head. I pulled out my wand, trying to wipe off the grin that was forming on my face as I directed it at the sleeping boy. "Aguamenti," I said loudly, hoping maybe he would wake up at my voice as well. Even if that didn't work, the strong jet of cold water hitting his face sure did.

Draco flung himself up wildly, spluttering and whipping his head around, undoubtedly searching for his attacker.
I had launched myself into the nearest chair, one that hadn't been destroyed or flipped over, the second I had cast the spell.