Let's Make A Pact

Malfoy

I sat down on the couch in the Head's cabin. It was a little larger than the other compartments, and only the Head Prefect's could see it unless they wanted to invite someone in. I didn't.

The couch was green and silver but the one across from it was red and gold. They matched wonderfully.

So far everything had gone well. I had checked in with Goyle, Blaise, Theo, and Pansy, and then made my way here. It was nice. Except when Granger gets here it would get awkward. Maybe I should have brought Goyle with me. Blaise and Pansy would be too busy snogging to even notice he was gone, plus maybe she would bring the Weasel. Or Weaslette. They seemed close. Maybe she wasn't so bad. Maybe I could get over the whole Blood Traitor thing. Maybe I could even swallow my pride and get over the Muggle Born thing. I pulled out a spellbook for Hogwart's Graduates. Even though I hadn't graduated yet, it was written for magic folk who were my age. I had gotten through the first two pages when the door opened.

"Granger." I acknowledged coldly. She recoiled at my tone. I hadn't meant for it to sound so... rude. I think maybe it was just an immediate response to her presence. Another thing to get over.

"Malfoy." She snapped, sitting on her couch. I looked up at her. She glared back, then twirled her finger in a 360° and the couch rotated. The back was to me. Okay then. I guess she doesn't like my face.

Hermione

I like his face too much! I have a boyfriend. Sort of. Still!

I spun around my couch with a twirl of my finger and pulled out a book. Hogwarts: A History. New and Improved version. Included the war and everything. I checked the Contents section for my interview, then flipped to the page. I scanned it, scoffing at my choice of words when asked about how I felt on the matter of the Death Eaters.

"I don't believe that they are all bad people. They simply made bad choices which were encouraged and influenced by a terrible person who had a terrible childhood. Some people didn't have a choice, nor were they given a chance to reconsider. I think that a few in particular, people I went to school with, have a chance to change, but they're going to have to leap at it and use the opportunity for good, so that others can see the difference. I am very prepared to accept things for the way they are now. There is certainly less evil in the world these days, and I myself am ready to forgive and forget."

I hadn't been able to think of any more intelligent words, because I was so nervous. I mean, I was actually talking about Malfoy when I said they were given a chance to change. He's been given a chance by me. But he has to use it wisely.
I rolled my eyes and groaned. See, now that would have been a good thing to say in the interview, I scolded myself.

"You alright back there, Granger?"
Malfoy's voice pierced my thoughts.

"I-um, yes. Why do you ask?"

"You sound frustrated, is all."
He replied, emotionless. I spun the couch around angrily.

"And?!" I asked, irritated.

"Just wondering why." He shrugged, but looked at me smugly, as if he had won some award that only he knew about.did he really want to know? Was he just trying to make me angry? Should, I tell him? Eh. What did I have to lose?

"I said something in an interview that I'm not proud of, if you must know. I feel like the wording could've been a little better. More... intelligent." I said quietly.

"You're very smart, Granger. I'm sure it sounded fine. What book is it is?" He asked, sounding genuinely curious. Did he want to read it? Personally I think it was a bit obvious who I was referring to in the interview. If he saw it... I can only imagine what he would read into it.

"Hogwarts: A History." I muttered.

"Ah, the new and improved version, huh?" He grinned, noticing that it was in my hands.
"Accio Hermione's book."
"No!" I shrieked. It flew to him, and he turned to the page with my interview on it.

"I don't believe that they are all bad people. They simply made bad choices which were encouraged and influenced by a terrible person who had a terrible childhood. Some people didn't have a choice, nor were they given a chance to reconsider. I think that a few in particular, people I went to school with..." his voice dropped off there, and he took a deep breath before continuing, "have a chance to change, but they're going to have to leap at it and use the opportunity for good, so that others can see the difference. I am very prepared to accept things for the way they are now. There is certainly less evil in the world these days, and I myself am ready to forgive and forget." He read aloud.

I fiddled with my fingers, unable to look him in the eye. There was a long pause before he spoke. "Were you talking about me, Granger?" He asked softly.

I looked up, and he met my hazel eyes with blue. I felt a shock in my fingertips, and I quickly broke eye contact. His eyes were actually very pretty. I guess I hadn't noticed, since the last time I'd been close enough to see his eyes I was busy punching him. Whoops.

I nodded slightly.
He had a heck of a jawline. His dirty blond hair fell over his forehead in a very windswept just-got-out-of-bed look. I remembered how his hair used to be close cut and platinum blonde, and smiled a little.
"Well." He said. "Thank you." I jumped. "Yes, Granger, I know the word thank you."
I smiled again. "You're welcome." I said.

A few minutes went by. "Granger." He said loudly. I leapt nearly two feet in the air. "Yeah, Malfoy?"

"Let's make a pact." I glanced warily at him. "A pact?"
"A pact." He confirmed. "What kind of pact?" I asked. "A pact saying we'll be civil to each other. Maybe not friendly yet, per se, but civil. I hope we can reach friendly, but we have some hurdles to leap before that can happen." I grinned. Hurdles, like in Muggle track season. "I agree." I said, waving my wand. A parchment about a foot long appeared on the coffee table. He pulled a quill out of his bag and dipped in an ink bottle that hadn't been there a second ago. Perks of being a wizard.

(A/N that's a good username. I will not patent it, you're welcome😂)

"I, Draco Malfoy, promise to be civil to, you, Hermione Granger."

He muttered as he wrote. He had large, curly handwriting. It was nice. "Awfully formal, don't you think?" I asked. "Just go with it, Granger! It's all I can think of." He said, laughing.
"Okay, okay." I put my hands up in surrender, grinning.

"I, Hermione Granger, promise to be civil to you, Draco Malfoy."

"You forgot the comma after 'to' and before 'you.' He corrected. I rolled my eyes and fixed it.

He gave me back my book, and we continued the ride in silence.
But for the first time in my life, the silence was comfortable.