Chapter One

Gritty fragments of sand blow across my face and dirty my sunglasses

Gritty fragments of sand blow across my face and dirty my sunglasses. Those tiny dots litter the dark lens along with smudged fingerprints from where I've attempted to clean it. This is why I've never been a beach person, but basking under the warm rays of the afternoon sun is relaxing.

Although, floating in the pool with a cocktail also sounds appealing. I think Angela would also agree with me.

"Daddy, aahh!" London screams.

"Start running, because I'm coming after you." Blake laughs.

He's chasing after her with a small bucket of water which splashes down his sandy legs. By the time he gets her, I don't think there's going to be any water left.

She runs circles around Blake which only makes London laugh harder. He attempts to throw the remainder of the water, but it splashes onto the sand. Blake tosses the bucket over his shoulder and shakes his head.

"I give up, you win!" he announces.

"Yay."

London squeals with excitement before racing into the tiny ocean ripples licking the sand. Blake follows right behind London, ready to scoop her up if she goes in too far.

The way the sun catches the water droplets on his muscular chest. I can't believe he's mine.

"Hey, you." Kyle plops beside me with a large grin plastered on his face. He flicks cold, salty water which scatters across my cheek. I groan at the odd sensation.

"Why Charlotte is with you, will forever be a mystery to me." I brush a droplet of sandy water off my check.

"It's because she loves me, annoying faults and all." He beams.

"I think she must be the definition of endless love," I tease.

"So salty!" Kyle comments. "When did my Ava baby get so salty?"

I take a deep breath before answering, "Overworked and underpaid makes me salty."

"I'll have to throw you into the ocean if you don't perk up, Ava," he warns.

Looking towards the beach, I loudly moan at the thought. Being thrown into the cold water and having sand stuck to my body sounds dreadful. It's almost like being covered in cement because it's irritating to wash away. No matter how clean you feel, there's sand suck on your scalp or between your toes.

"Please don't," I beg. "I might end up saltier."

"Fine, but only if you promise to hang out with me soon. We hardly get to see each other and I need an escape." Kyle pouts - the same puppy look I can never say no to.

"Why, is Charlotte growing annoyed with you too?" I tease.

"You know, it's just a stressful time." He shrugs.