Part 29

Chapter 29

Nadine's Point of View

Nicola and I watched helplessly as Kimberley ran out the classroom. We wanted to go after her, but we couldn't, not when Sarah was with us. The whole class began laughing, and Sarah nudged us to join in too. We both felt so bad for doing it, Kimberley was our friends. I didn't even understand why Sarah hated Kimberley, she never gave us an answer for it. All I knew was that she liked making fun of her.

“I can't believe Kimberley and Cheryl kissed.” Nicola muttered once the class had settled down a bit. The teacher had come back into the class and it had quietened down a bit, but it was still loud enough so no one could hear our conversation.

“She didn't.” Sarah replied smugly, and both me and Nicola turned to face her. “I made it up.” She explained herself further.

“Why would you do that?” I hissed. I couldn't believe Sarah had done that. I knew she didn't like her, but that was taking it a step too far. Everyone now thought that Kimberley had kissed Cheryl and wanted to take things further. When, in fact, none of it had even happened! Sarah shrugged in response, not being able to give a proper answer. “You took it too far Sarah!”

“How is it too far?” She asked, rolling her eyes at me.

“How is it too far?” I repeated, getting more angry at her. “How is it not too far? Everyone thinks she tried to get it on with Cheryl! How will Cheryl feel about the rumour?”

“You know what she's like, she'll see it as a joke.” Sarah relaxed back into her chair. If Nicola wasn't separating us, I swear, I would have lunged for her. “Just get a grip Nadine and stop complaining, you're not allowed to like Kimberley.”

I had had enough with Sarah and her stupid games and rules. No matter who it was, you couldn't treat people like that. Not when they didn't deserve it. I didn't reply to her, instead I put my head down and continued on with my work. As soon as I was out of here, I was going to go and see if Kimberley was okay.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

After double History, I had a free period. Sarah and Nicola didn't, so I didn't have to explain where I was going. I raced down the hallways and to the dorms. When I got to Cheryl and Kimberley's, I knocked a few times, but I got no answer. Cheryl would be in dance by now, which meant Kimberley would be in Drama, but I doubted that she would have gone there after everything that had happened. I decided to just go in to make sure that Kimberley wasn't just ignoring me.

I gasped as I walked to the middle of the room. I couldn't believe it. Her drawers were empty and her stuff was gone. Kimberley was leaving. Panicking, I didn't know what to do. I slowly backed out of the room and began to run again. I needed to get to Cheryl. She would know what to do.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Miss Coyle, get out now!” The dance teacher yelled at me, but I ignored her. I ran straight over to where Cheryl was warming up and grabbed her arm.

“Nadine!” She yelled. “You're not meant to be here!”

“Cheryl, I need your help!” I pleaded breathlessly. “It's about Kimberley.”

“What's going on?” She asked alarmed as she handed me her water bottle so I could take a drink.

“She's run away. She's leaving.” I replied. “There's a rumour going around about her and Sarah told her you started it. She got really upset and ran out of class. When I started my free period, I went to see her. All her stuff is out your dorm, her bags are gone.”

“No, she can't leave!” Cheryl cried in frustration. Everyone had turned to look at the two of us, but we didn't care. “She needs to be here! Why would Sarah say that to her?”

I looked at her for a moment, before deciding to tell her the truth. She deserved to know what Sarah had been doing. “Sarah has done a lot to upset Kimberley.” I started. “She told her not to be friends with you. That's why she fell out with you. She didn't want to, but Sarah threatened to hit her if she didn't.” Cheryl began getting angry, I could see it in her face. “That's why me and Nicola had to meet with her in private. Sarah threatened us too, she told us we couldn't be friends with her. The rumour was just another thing she made up to upset Kimberley.”

“That f*cking b*tch!” Cheryl screamed. “I'm going to f*cking kill her! How dare she treat my Kimba and you and Nicola like that! She has no right to do so.” Cheryl began quickly walking to the exit of the dance studio, ignoring the shouting of her dance teacher.

“Cheryl, where are you going?” I shouted from across the studio.

“I'm going to the train station to get Kimba back!” She shouted as she changed from walking to running. I knew I could count on her. I just hoped she was going to get there on time.