Part 21

Chapter 21

I couldn't help but smile as I looked down at mine and Kimberley's intertwined hands. It had been  a week since I had asked Kimberley to be my girlfriend, and we were now on the train going back to school. No one knew that we were dating, not even my family. They suspected that we were, but we never confirmed it with them. We wanted to keep it just between us for a while, we liked it just being our little secret.

Kimberley had fallen asleep on my shoulder, leaving me to our own thoughts. She looked so cute when she slept, and all I wanted to do was pull her onto my lap and let her cuddle into me. I began to think about what was going to happen when we got back to school. Were we going to tell our friends about our relationship or were we going to keep it quiet? Letting my curiosity get the better of me, I gently shook Kimberley to wake her up.

“Hmm?” She mumbled, lifting her head off my shoulder. “What's wrong Chezza?”

“Nothing is wrong. You were sleeping, and I was lonely...”

“Aww babe, you're cute.” She smiled at me, lifting our hands up and kissing them. “I can tell there's something on your mind though. Are you going to tell me about it?”

“It's just that I've been thinking about what was going to happen when we get back to school. Are we going to tell people about us?”

Kimberley only took a few seconds to think about her answer. “No.” She replied simply. I had to admit I was upset by her answer. I knew that it would take some people a while to get their heads around the fact that Kimberley and I were dating, but she didn't want to tell anyone and it made me feel as if she was embarrassed to be with me. Kimberley noticed that I was confused and upset because she quickly explained herself further. “I would love to tell people, but we can't.”

“Why can't we?” It made no sense to why we couldn't tell people if we both wanted to.

“Did you not read the school rules? They have nothing against same sex relationships, but they state that they can't share the same room. If we tell people and the school find out, it means we'll be separated. You don't want that, do you?”

“No.” I replied quickly as I squeezed Kimberley's hand tighter, causing her to laugh at me. It all made sense now. I would rather have no one know about Kimberley and I than having us split up.

“Exactly, I don't want it either so we can't tell anyone.” She quickly leaned in a pecked my cheek.

“I can't believe the Walshster is breaking school rules.” I teased, making us both laugh. “You're turning into a bit of a rebel, aren't you?”

“I'm only doing it for you.” She replied truthfully. “I don't think I would be able to deal with not waking up and going to sleep with you in the same room.”

“You're so cute!” I tapped her nose playfully. “I don't think I would be able to deal with it either.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Walking back into the school gates, I had my suitcase in one hand and my other arm was linked with Kimberley's. I wanted to hold her hand, but we decided against it just in case people started asking questions.

“Cheryl!” I turned to see Nicola running towards me, Nadine and Sarah following closely behind her. Freeing myself from Kimberley, I hugged Nicola back as she wrapped her arms around me. She let go of me and hugged Kimberley as I hugged Nadine and Sarah.

“Did you all have a good Christmas?” I asked as all five of us began walking into the school building.

“Yeah, it was great!” Nicola replied enthusiastically, out of all of us, she was the biggest kid.