Part 20

Chapter 20

The more time I spent with Kimberley, the more my feelings grew for her. They were getting so bad that when I was around her, I felt nervous and shy and every time she hugged me, my stomach would flutter. It was safe to say that I really liked her, and I wanted to tell her this, but I didn't know how to. I wasn't scared of rejection because I knew she felt the same way, she told me so herself, but she was too shy to do anything about it so I was going to be the one making the first move. It had been five days since mine and Kimberley's little talk in the kitchen. We had acted normal, as if we had never had the conversation. That's what I loved about her, I could always be myself around her and nothing was ever awkward.

It was New Years Eve, my sister, my brothers and my mam had all gone out to a party, leaving me and Kimberley at home with food and alcohol. We decided that we were going to have our own little party, with just the two of us. We had been invited to go to the party, but we had said no. We hadn't spent as much time together since coming to Newcastle because of my family. Kimberley got on great with them, and I loved them, but sometime I wish that they would just back off.

Kimberley and I were curled up on the sofa watching a movie, thankfully it wasn't one of her horrible musicals! Instead, we were watching The Notebook. It wasn't my ideal movie choice but it didn't have happy people dancing and singing about the place so I didn't complain. As I rested my head on her shoulder, I felt her slip her hand into mine. I looked up at her, but she was still focussing on the tv. Was I just thinking into things too much? Closing my eyes, I started to get lost in my own thoughts.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Chezza!” I was woken my Kimberley's soft voice in my ear. Opening my eyes, I smiled when I saw her. I hadn't meant to fall asleep, but how could you blame me? The film was crap. “It's only a few minutes until twelve, I wanted you to be awake with me.” She had been drinking, I could smell it from her breath, but she wasn't drunk.

“Thanks for waking me up, I wouldn't want to miss this.” I replied, smiling when I saw her cheeks flush red. Bringing our intertwined hands up to eye level, I kissed the top of her hand. “I'm really glad you're here with me. We've only known each other for a few months, but it's like I've known you my whole life. I can't imagine my life without you, Kimba.”

“I feel the exact same way, Chezza.” She replied as she brought her eyes up, looking into mine. “I feel like a completely different person when I'm with you. It's like it's only me and you and no one else matters.”

At the same time, we both looked at the clock:

 11:59:55

11:59:56

11:59:57

11:59:58

11:59:59...

“Happy New Year, Kimba.” I leaned in and captured her lips with my own. As her tongue entered my mouth, I moved my hand to the back of her neck, deepening the kiss. Her hands moved to my sides, and she pulled me so I was on her lap, my legs either side of her. I was so caught up in the moment that I didn't even realise that she was crying until I felt her tears fall onto my skin. “Kimba, what's wrong?” I pulled back to see her face. I placed my hands on her cheeks and brushed the tears away with my thumbs, waiting for her to say something.

“I'm scared.” She admitted, I brushed some more of her tears away as I waited for her to say something else. “I really like you, and I'm scared that you're going to leave me because it's always what happens.”

Leaning over, I placed a kiss on her forehead before returning to my original position. “I'm not going to leave you, babe. I promise you. I know that you've had to move around a lot and because of that you've lost a lot of friends, but that's not going to happen with us. I'm never going to leave you and I'm never going to hurt you.”

“Why me, Chezza?” She asked, and for once I had no idea what she was going on about.

“Why what?”

“Why out of all people at school, did you take an interest in me? Out of all the people there, you were the one who made friends with me and stuck up for me when no one else did. Why did you do it?”

“Is that you complaining?” I joked as she shook her head and shyly bit her bottom lip. “The day I met you, I knew you were different. You were a prettier and smarter version of me. At school, I don't have many friends, just a few close ones and I wanted you to be one. Just by spending a few minutes with you, you were able to make me laugh and forget about all my problems. I wanted someone like that in my life, that's why I stole your book so that you would have to come and find me. Then you moved in, and it made things a lot easier. That's why I took an interest in you Kimba.”

We were both crying freely now. There was no point in wiping the tears away because more just fell. I still had my hand on Kimberley's cheek and I leaned in again, leaving a soft kiss on her lips. Pulling away, I rested my forehead against hers and let out a breath of relief when I found her smiling at me.

“Kimba, I care about you a lot and I like you more than a best friend probably should. I've never had a girlfriend before, but there's a first time for everything, right?” I blushed slightly, this didn't sound as good as it did in my head. “What I'm trying to say, well ask, is Kimba would you please be my girlfriend?”

“Yes!” She answered, a big smile formed on her face. “Of course I will.” She kissed my lips repeatedly before pulling away. She pulled me into her, moulding our bodies together. I rested my head into her neck, kissing it once as I wrapped my arms around her body.

“Happy New Year, Chezza. I have a feeling it's going to be a great one.”