The parking lot at the theater is full, as expected. There's not a lot to do in Blue Ridge Summit and the theatre is always a popular choice. I follow Aedan, a little giddy but trying to act nonchalant, as he buys our tickets and leads the way into the theater. We've been talking non stop the whole way here. He's been telling me about his friends. They sound like a great bunch of guys, and Aedan is obviously very close with them.

He sits us in the back row. The seats are filling up quickly so I'm guessing that the movie must be good. The lights go down and I lean reflexively closer to him. Aedan flashes me a smile and reaches to take my hand. The strange tingling heat that I'm coming to expect flows up my arm at the contact. I have no ideat what that is, but I like it.

The movie starts, and it is good. There are vampires, boys who turn into wolves, and one extremely whiny teen girl. I laugh a little to myself at the irony. Maybe my wolf is really a boy, I think with humor. It would explain a few things...

Aedan spends as much time watching me as he does the screen. "Did you like it?" He asks as the credits roll. He's oddly invested in my answer, almost like there is more riding on it than how much I enjoyed the last two hours of my life.

"I did," I tell him honestly. "I actually really like the whole paranormal genre. "

"Me too," He tells me and if I'm not mistaken, looks a little relieved. We walk back outside into the blindingly bright sunlight. I fall silent as we get back into the jeep. I'm not ready for the day to end.

 "Would you like to come back to my house for a while? The guys are probably there. You could meet them. I know they'd love to meet you," He asks, surprising me.

Is it weird that I want to instantly say yes?

I'd never go to a guys house that I've only know for two days. The fact that he even asked would normally send up all kinds of red flags. But I feel like I've known Aedan for much longer than a couple of days. Strangely enough, he makes me feel safe. Anna will kill me when she finds out, because I'm going. "I'd like that."

We drive to a house on the outskirts of town. Aedan pulls to the curb behind a green pick-up and in front of a red suv. I climb out of the jeep and look at the house. It's a blue 2 story, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how well kept it looks. I figured with four single guys living here, it would be a mess. Someone takes the time to keep the place up.

Nerves send my earlier happy feelings packing. If I can judge by the cars parked in front, at least two of Aedan's friends are here. I'm going to have to interact with multiple strangers at once. Something that usually never goes in my favor. As if he senses my emotions, Aedan gives me a reassuring smile. Taking my hand, he tugs me up the sidewalk and in the front door. 

We enter through a dark hallway and he leads me to a living room on the left. I can hear a tv and a couple of guys laughing. When I catch sight of them, I stop in my tracks. It's the two guys who I noticed on the sidewalk yesterday. What the heck?

"Keller and Braden, this is Liz," Aedan introduces me. He pulls me further into the room and the other two jump to their feet. 

They are both tall, almost as tall as Aedan. I'm starting to get a complex standing next to all of these tall guys. "It's great to meet you. I'm Keller." The one with brown hair approaches me. He has a muscular build and gunmetal grey eyes. 

Braden gives me a small wave and an easygoing smile that I can't help but return. "I'm glad to meet you two. I've heard a lot about you already."

I don't mention that I saw them in town yesterday. It's obviously paranoia that has me wondering if they were following me. Side effect of having a bona fide stalker, suddenly any stranger on the street seems a little menacing. Our town is tiny, of course we would have crossed paths at some point.

"Are you thirsty?" Aedan asks me.

I nod yes just to escape the slightly awkward silence that has fallen and we walk down the hall to the kitchen. He grabs me a bottle of water before walking us back to the living room and sitting on one end of the couch. Braden and Keller are sitting in the two chairs in the room. That leaves me the other end of the couch. I sit and all three guys give me a smile before turning back to whatever they've been watching. 

I'm feeling a little out of place. What am I doing? An arm slides around my shoulders and Aedan pulls my to his side. Instantly comforted, I'm not even going to argue with myself over how weird that is, I settle in with my head resting on his shoulder. I turn my attention to the tv and watch with the guys.

It's a comedy, and I'm surprised to find myself laughing along. There's no pressure to make conversation and I'm relieved. There's a sense of family here, these three are obviously close. To the point that they can sit in comfortable silence together. It's nice.

I hear the door open and close, and another guy walks in. "Aedan." His tone is respectfull.

"Tye, this is Liz."

"Hi." I say to the new addition.  He has dark brown hair, brown eyes, and an athletic build. Is it weird that Aedan and all of his friends look like they belong in some elite branch of the military?

"I'm honored to meet you," Strange choice of words, but they ring sincere.  I give them all a happy smile. I'm suddenly really glad that I'm here, even if I don't have a clue what I'm doing. 

Braden casually stands up and leaves the room. Tye takes his seat and turns his attention to the tv. When Braden comes back in, I'm expecting a reaction from him over losing his seat. I might not have had any siblings but Anna did, and I'd witnessed more than one tif over a stolen chair. So I'm surprised when he just leans against the wall, watching tv, like it doesn't bother him. 

But it's bothering me. I look at the far end of the couch. I'm snuggled up so tightly to Aedan that we're only on half of the couch. "Braden, you can sit next to me," I offer shyly.

All heads turn to look at me and I'm wondering if I've done something wrong. Braden comes over and sits, careful not to brush against me, and I swear he looks proud.

I'm so confused.

I don't seem to know exactly how to interact with this group, even worse than my usual social awkwardness. I glance at Aedan and he's looking at me with the strangest expression, like he's awed. He takes my hand and raises it to his lips. Looking me steadily in the eyes, he places a sweat kiss to the back of my hand. I blush profusely.

I really have no idea what I did.

The rest of the afternoon passes pleasantly. We watch tv and the guys talk back and forth occasionally. I keep quiet and just listen. I was right earlier, this is a  family. They joke with each other and laugh a lot. There is an overwhelming feeling camaraderie in the air. 

The sunlight streaming in the windows changes, disappointing me to see it's time for me to go home. I've had a really good time here. It's been nice to not be alone, and the guys have made me feel welcome. 

"I need to get home. The critters will be hungry."

"Ok," Aedan stands up and stretches. 

I get up too and we start for the door. The guys all jump up and follow us to the door. 

"It was great meeting you all," I actually mean it for once.

"Please come back soon," Tye tells me. The others agree quickly.  

Aedan holds my hand as we walk to his jeep. He helps me in and goes to the drivers side. I watch the house as we drive away. This has turned into the best day in my recent memory.

***

To all of my readers, silent and otherwise, thank you! Chance Encounters is approaching 15k reads. This is the first story that I've ever written and I can't begin to tell you what it means to me that so many of you have given it a chance.

The feels, y'all. You legit give me the feels. 💞