Ch. 26: Dashed Dignity

     "So what's the big deal?" I asked, looking from Jenna to Lana. "Everyone just has conjoined studying today... That's pretty cool, I have to admit." I shouldered my books as we fourth-year Gryffindors stepped into the Great Hall. 

      My only guess was that Hogwarts held a study period before exams so you can cram as much into your brain as humanly possible before you took all the tests.

      Lana shrugged as we approached an empty portion of tables. "I just can't wait until break. No school for three weeks!" Lana moaned happily, stretching her arms out wide as if she was embracing the thought. "It's going to be heaven."

      Jenna threw her books down on the Gryffindor table, where everyone was pretty much already studying, and groaned in reply. "Yeah, but first we just have to get through today's exams."

        I sat across from Harry, Hermione, Ron, Fred, and George with a smile and opened my DADA book. It was the only class I was really struggling in, that and Transfiguration. My Divination skills could be worked on, but I figured that the exam for that class would just be drinking tea and giving false futures.

     It was around here that my day began to go south.

     Staring down at the information-loaded pages, I couldn't focus. There was anxious, happy chattering all around. The school was a-buzz with the coming dance, and the Christmas Break was right around the corner.

     I snuck a couple of glances toward Fred. He and his twin were animatedly chattering amongst themselves cracking jokes and dodging the attentions of the Professors are they roamed our Study Hall, ensuring that we were all remaining on task. 

     I smirked into my text, thinking it was sorta cute that Fred was upset. He thought I was going with Oliver Wood. Really, I hadn't even considered taking anyone at all. But, the more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea of going with him. He was funny and charming, and well -- I blushed at the thought. 

       'Maybe I'll just tell Fred that I'm not going to the Ball with Oliver... if he's going to make such a big deal out of it,' I thought as I gave him a side glance, blushing as his eyes met mine. I skimmed through my Defense book and smiled shyly. Maybe I would even ask him to the Yule Ball. That would be a twist, huh?

       "This is pathetic..." Ron whined as he looked up from his book, desperately whispering to Harry while Snape was gone. "We both don't have dates, and the Ball is next week."

         Harry nodded slightly as Snape gave them a glare, but whispered back to Ron. "Yeah, it's a lot harder to ask someone than I had thought, why do they have to travel in packs?"

       "And how do you get one alone?" Ron complained, as if girls were so hard to figure out. Hermione and I both rolled our eyes at the same time, boys. Snape scowled and shoved their heads towards their books, telling them that it was study time, not talking time.

     I sent a smile to Fred, but he just shot it down with a blank stare. He had been this way for the past few days and I hadn't talked to him since Quidditch practice. 

        Fred quickly scribbled something down on a scrap of paper, balled it up, and then tossed it at Ron, hitting him in the head. Muttering curses under his breath, Ron opened the letter and read it quietly. "Better act quick before all the good ones are gone?" Ron frowned and glared at his brother, "Well who are you taking, then?"