Chapter 3 ( part 1 )

¤ Chloe Armel ¤

Mr craig shook his head as he paused at my desk and handed over my chemistry exam."We'll talk after class," he said.

What?!

Confused,i unfolded my test.C-minus? " That's impossible!"

I've never ever ever gotten a C let alone C-minus!

Sick to my stomach,i skimmed the exam paper,trying really hard not to cry.

Wait a minute,i thought.The paper was covered with smudges.It looked as if the answers had been changed a million times.

My name was spelled out in the top right corner.But....

It's not my writing,i realized.This isn't my test.

I didn't draw hearts around my name.

"I got an A!" Jade Palmer squealed from the front row."I knew it!"

Jade beamed with pride ,showing her test paper to everyone around her.She cast a glance back at me,her mouth twisted into a mocking grin.

She must've switched test papers.She must've erased my name when i passed up my exam.

Jade stole my A!

The minute the bell rang,i gathered up my stuff.Books in hand,i marched out of the classroom with a glare,following Jade."Jade,wait."

But the pretty little bitch kept walking.Her long dark hair swung back and fourth across her back.

"Jade!" i yelled,running after her and grabbed the girl's arm.

Jade stopped and turned around.

"I can't believe you did that!" i muttered."You stole my A!"

"Oh,Chloe ." she sighed dramatically."I needed that A more than you." Then she leaned down " They would've kicked me off the squad with a C." she whispered.

"But-"

She smiled and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear,"We don't want that now,do we?."

"You cheated!" i said."And what about my grade? You stuck me with a C minus!"

She scoffed,her blue eyes glinting,"Oh please,you won't die if you get a taste of C- minus."

My nerves were ready to snap.Jade had ruined my chemistry average!

My jaw clenched."I'm not going to let this slide." i hitched my backpack on my shoulder."I'm going to talk to Mr Criag."

Jade was silent as i turned around and stormed off.

She know's she's wrong.She can't manipulate me.And as soon as our chemistry grades were straightened out,she's off the squad!

That'll be her punishment for messing with my test!

No wonder,cheerleaders are considered dumb!

***

I fidgeted through french class.The bell finally rang and i quickly gathered my books.Free period.Time to talk to Mr Craig.

I left the classroom and turned down the hall.Glancing ahead at the chemistry lab,i blinked.

Dana,Samantha and Nancy were huddled around the doorway.They hurried over to me as soon as they saw me coming.

"What's up?" Dana asked innocently.

Something was really fishy here.Since when did the whole squad wanted to know what was "up" with me.

"Move.I've to talk to Mr Craig." i muttered.

"Look," Samantha,the red headed cheerleader said,"We've got crisis and only you're the only one who can save us,Chloe."

I raised a brow,"Really? What is it?"

"It's....Jade," Samantha said hesitantly."We really need her on the squad.And right now you're the only one who can save her sorry butt."

"Are you kidding me?" i asked.I struggled to keep from shouting,"She stole my chem exam!"

"Shh!" Dana glanced down the hall,her blond hair swishing,"The whole school doesn't have to hear."

"I know it's awful." Samantha touched my arm."It's not fair to you.But..."

"Can't you cover her? Just once?" Dana pleaded.

"Forget it," i said,shaking my head.

"But we need her on the squad," Nancy,who was silent ,spoke up."Without Jade's triple backflip,we'll be buried in the state competition."

I stared at Nancy'jet black hair,then at the other girls.

I can't believe this,i thought.I can't believe they want Jade to get away with what she did.

"Come on,Chloe," Dana said."You'll do anything for school's pride,right?."

I glanced at th girls around me.I felt as if the cheerleaders eyes were burning into me.

"Well?" Dana asked.

I pressed one hand against my cheek,trying to think straight.I did wanted my school to win state championship.

"Talk to Mr Craig," Samantha suggested,her eyes softening a bit."Tell him you had a bad day...that you were sick.I bet he'll let you take the exam over."

I bit my lower lip.Samantha was right.He would probably give me another chance.

"Come on,Chloe," Dana pressed.

The three cheerleaders stared intently at me,waiting for an answer.

"All right ,all right," i said reluctantly,"I'll let it go...but only if i can take the test over."

Samantha patted my shoulder,"We knew you wouldn't let us down."

***

"I should be happy right?" i sat down beside Valentino at our usual table in the lunchroom."Mr Craig is going to let me take a make up exam.Jade's chem grade is safe untill mext semester.But.."

"Stop stressing.little C," Val said,sliding an unwrapped candy bar across the table."Here,have some chocolate.It's supposed to improve a bad mood."

"It won't help." but i took a piece and popped it into my mouth."I'm still upset about this whole thing with Jade."