Chapter 16

The next day I woke up remembering the talk I had with Mr. Sean in Paris. I found him in the kitchen already tucking into his breakfast, while an elder woman bustled about the kitchen; probably the maid he was talking about. He looked at me and smiled as I entered the kitchen and sat at the dining table.

            “Good morning,” he said, biting into his toast.

            “Good morning,” I said, as the woman, Mrs. Irma placed a plate of scrambled eggs and toast in front of me. I could get used to this service, I thought as I helped myself to the delicious breakfast. After breakfast, we went to work in Mr. Sean’s car, barely talking. At work I had to endure different kind of problems. There were some who were nicer to me, seeing that I am the GOD’s wife, and some who were oblivious to me, while others who were showing their displeasure openly. Those people are Stella, Mariana and their best friend Patricia.

            The first thing I did as soon as I reached the office was to go to the reception table to see if everything was in order as I was off for a week. Florence was already there and greeted me animatedly as I approached her.

            “Mandy!” she cried out, “You looked beautiful in your wedding gown!”

            “Thanks Florence,” I replied, looking around for Stella and Mariana who were missing, “Where are the others?”

            “Victoria’s upstairs getting some stationery as our things have finished,” Florence answered, “While Stella and Mariana are still not here. You know, Mandy, they’re not satisfied that you married Mr. Sean Christopher. They were both keeping an eye on him.”

            “Really,” I asked, “I didn’t know that.”

            “Oh they are,” she replied, “Unfortunately for them, he will never look at them if their characters are so vile like that.”

            “By the way, Mandy,” Florence asked, “Is it true that Mr. Sean and his girlfriend are no longer together because of you?”

            “Florence,” I cried out. Where do all these gossips come from? “First of all I will not divulge my personal life to anyone, and secondly, you shouldn’t be going around listening to gossips like this.”

            “Oh, I’m sorry Mandy,” she said as just then Stella and Mariana appeared.

            “Make sure you sign our attendance list end of this month,” Mariana said as I stared at her.

            “What do you mean?” I asked her, glaring at them in turn.

            “Can’t you see we’re late today?” Stella asked me, “We had some personal matters to attend to.”

            “So why should I sign your attendance list?” I asked them.

            “Because unfortunately we report to you,” Mariana said, not even disguising her contempt, “And you better sign it.”

            “Why should I?” I asked them, “You never even bothered to inform me that you were going to be late today.”

            “Stop being so stubborn and just sign it will you,” Stella said as I glared at her, “Why are you being so arrogant?”

            “Yeah,” Mariana said, “Just because you’re married to the director doesn’t mean you own this company!”

            “Did I say that?” I challenged her, “I never said anything like that so why would you bring that up?”