Chapter 13

Ms. Martha came to find me at my house to take me out shopping for my wedding gown on Saturday. She told me not to worry about a thing as all the expenses will be borne by Mr. Christopher. She took me to the printers on Monday evening after work, where our wedding invitation was already printed. I gasped in shock at the speed of the way things are going. It’s like a rollercoaster ride, but it took a long ride up to the top and now I’m falling down so fast, I feel that the roller coaster may go out of control.

            My wedding date was set in a month’s time – and I wondered if I would be able to breathe with the endless chaos that seems to happen. As I sat in my office two weeks before my wedding, I recalled the conversation I had with my friends the first time I told them I was getting married. It was the day after I got back from the printers with my invitation card. I can still imagine the shock in their faces when I gave them each a card.

            “What’s going on, Mandy?” Siti asked me, looking hurt. I know she felt that I kept things away from her when I always told her everything else. How could I tell her the real reason, and how Mr. Sean really feels? I have to act like I’m happy to get married, when deep down inside my heart, I can feel my heart breaking into tiny little pieces day by day.

            “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you guys earlier,” I said apologetically.

            “When did you start keeping secrets from us?” Siti questioned me, as I looked at her sadly.

            “Siti,” Diana quipped in and put her arm around my shoulder, “You should be congratulating her instead of grilling her.”

            “Congrats dear,” Leeann said as she hugged me, “I’m so happy for you.”

            “Me too,” Katrina said, smiling and hugging me too, “Looks like you’re going to get married earlier than any one of us.”

            “Just like what I predicted,” Diana said as she hugged me too. I looked at Siti who couldn’t be angry at me anymore.

            “I don’t care,” she said sourly, “As long as there are a lot of hot guys at your wedding for me to take a pick at.”

            “Aww, don’t be so ego and just congratulate her, will you?” Diana said as she pushed Siti who came and hugged me.

            “I’m so happy for you, Mandy,” she said, “Although you didn’t tell us earlier, I forgive you.”

            I smiled at my friends, thinking, if only they knew the truth. Telling my friends I’m getting married was not as hard as telling Daniel who I’m getting married to. When he saw Mr. Sean’s name on the invitation card, he angrily chucked it in the wastepaper basket. I stood in front of him in his office, staring down at the ground.

            “You know what sucks the most, Mandy?” he asked me as I shook my head, “The fact that you were engaged to him, but you still came out with me and acted like you liked me. If you didn’t like me, you could just say it to my face instead of acting nice.”

            “Danny,” I said, as my tears started to fall, “I’m sorry.”

            “How am I ever to look at you again, Mandy?” he asked me, as I looked at him through the tears, “Do you know how much I like you, and how am I going to act like a friend to you anymore.”

            I sobbed silently, not knowing the right answer to give him. If I knew I was going to get married, I wouldn’t have led Daniel on, but everything happened so fast. I knew that I really wanted to get to know Daniel and I regret that the wedding came in between that. But how am I going to tell Daniel that? He’s not going to believe me. I left him, and since that day he never came to find me, and it hurt me to lose a friend like him.