Chapter 3

It’s been a week and I haven’t got any reply from Ms. Beatrice. I was on the verge of giving up. I thought that maybe I didn’t get the job. My friends were being nice to me, making me feel good, but inside, I was getting depressed day by day.

            I recalled back last week when we went out at night on the day of my interview. Jason, who was Leeann’s boyfriend and three of his friends, took us girls for dinner at Bukit Bintang. As we sat at a coffee shop, having our dinner, one of Jason’s friends, named Daniel asked me what I was working as. Before I could answer, Siti chirped in quickly.

            “Actually Amanda went for a job interview at Crystal Holdings today!”

            “Oh really?” Daniel asked, “I’m working there actually!”

            “Oh you are?” I asked back, “But I just went for an interview, I don’t know whether I’ll get the job or not.”

            “We’re telling her she’ll be fine,” Katrina said, “She’d get the job, there’s nothing to worry about.”

            “Yeah,” Daniel said, “Who interviewed you?”

            “Miss Beatrice,” I replied, “Is she okay?”

            “Oh, Miss Beatrice!” Daniel exclaimed, “Don’t let her cool exterior fool you. She’s actually quite nice.”

            “Yeah, and Mandy nailed the interview,” Siti said, with gusto.

            “No I did not!” I scoffed back at her.

            “Well, don’t worry,” Daniel said, “You might hear from her in a week’s time. It’s not that hard getting job there. Besides that, you got the look that makes you right working there.”

            “What kind of look is that supposed to be?” I asked, puzzled.

            “Oh you know,” Daniel said, “Sophisticated, elegant.”

            “You have got to be kidding me,” Diana said, laughing.

            “Yeah,” Siti giggled, “Her sophistication stops at the word sophistication.”

            “And her elegance equals to elephants,” Katrina quipped in, not wanting to be left out, “You know, stomping around like an elephant?”

            “Thanks a lot guys,” I said, gritting my teeth, “That’s very nice of you guys!”

            “Oh, come on Amanda,” Leeann said, smiling, “You know they’re joking.”

            “I know, I know,” I said, with resignation. My friends knew me that well, “I do hope I get that job though. I’ve been unemployed for quite some time now.”

            “Why don’t you try for a government job?” Daniel asked. I was starting to dislike him. He didn’t give chance for anyone else to talk.

            “It’s so hard to get government jobs,” I retorted.

            “How would you know if you didn’t try?” Daniel replied, “It’s not good to be unemployed for so long, you know. You need to be more independent.”

            By this time, I was already seething inside, and I just need an excuse to get away from this guy. My friends seemed to be oblivious to the conversation going on between me and Daniel. They were all having animated conversations with Jason’s other friends. Why am I the unlucky one to get an annoying pest to talk to, I thought to myself.