Chapter 15

"Knowing it and seeing it are two
different things."

                              Suzanne Collins

In our renewed silence I looked up at Zakari. Really looked up at him as if just noticing him for the first time. I stared into his hazel eyes, they were like a maze I couldn't help but get lost in. They were in one word, beautiful.

He smiled and that warmth he exudes finally returned. When he smiled you could not resist the impulse to smile too.

For half a second we both sat there, staring at each other. Then he leaned in and kissed me. His kisses were my salvation and my torment. All previous thoughts that had been accelerating in my head were obliterated. My mind  was repeating the same sentence over and over, "This is wrong...This is wrong..." But I was too drunk on endorphins and my heart was beating too loud for me to pay attention. After a few seconds he broke away and smiled, jumped out of the car and walked towards my door to open it while I sank in my seat gathering some much needed oxygen.

I was nervous when he opened my door and said, "Come on, Victoria." When I didn't move, he unbuckled my seatbelt and extended his hand. I accepted it, and we walked hand in hand to the front door. My gaze skipped around the house and the neighbourhood as I tried to remember why it was all so familiar.

Zakari rang the door bell and turned to wink at me.

"Is there anything you can tell me about him?" I asked nervously, fiddling with my earring.

"Well he has a very mellifluous voice," I looked at him with my head tilted and a furrowed brow then he held up his hands in defense and said, "No Homo. He's also an erudite and he can be very inimical when he is drinking but-"

Zakari was interrupted by the sound of the door being unlocked. I stared at the door . It opened slightly and a man in a grey Nike tracksuit stood before us. A man with a clean beard, barehead and dark brown eyes behind acrylic glasses.

I rolled my eyes and glowered at him when I recognized who he was.

He stepped forward and gave Zakari a bro hug, which signified that they were closer than a standard handshake.

When they parted Zakari put him arm around my waist and said, "This is Victoria, the girl I told you about."

He smiled at me, but something in his eyes told me he was anything but friendly.

"Wait, you brought me here to meet the bartender from Nassau's party?" I accidentally said out loud.

They both looked at me, confused, but then grinned at my obvious embarrassment.

"Noah is not a bartender, this is his house," Zakari affirmed, beaming.

I thought about revealing how Noah had been unbearably rude rude to me that day. But decided to brush it off, thinking that any negative comment about his friend, however accurate, is bound to be construed as jealousy or pettiness.

"I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have said that." I apologized, tucking a lock of hair behind her ear.

"Don't worry about it. I have a nebulous recollection of that day," He said extending the door open, inviting us in. "But I think I may have spent most of it by the bar," He said with a chuckle while Zakari and I walked past him hand in hand. "Welcome to my humble abode." He added.

We entered the spacious living room and just when we were about to take a seat Zakari's phone rang. He let go of me abruptly, leaving my hand dangling in the air as he went into the room behind the bookshelf to answer it.