Chapter 13

Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired - Robert Frost.

***

In the heart of Manda Hill Shopping Mall, I whip out my phone and quickly skim through the conversation I had with Carlos about an hour ago, to confirm our meeting place.

I walked into the Mugg and Bean cafe and was immediately hit with the aroma of fresh baked lasagna. I looked around the busy tables. On my left was a couple failing miserably at discretely stopping an argument between 3 children. A group of guys collapsing with helpless laughter. The noise level was very high. But it didn't bother me, I loved this place. On my right was a couple wearing matching his and hers outfits and sharing a giant muffin. I walked past the glass fronted counter that was an array of cakes and pastries and the couple and took a seat facing the entrance.

I fidgeted in my seat. With nothing else to do I perused the menu. Regardless of what was there I knew I'd be ordering a Cheesy Chicken and Mushroom Lasagne. I just needed something to distract myself because if I take time to be honest with my feelings I know I'll just come to realize that the reason I'm so nervous right now is because I'm afraid of what Carlos will say about my feelings for Zakari.

I put the menu down and a waitress came within minutes to take my order. I tapped my foot against the ground at a quick
beat and looked at my watch repeatedly to check the
time, then back at the entrance waiting impatiently for Carlos to show up. And he did, with Malia.

I lifted my chin and uttered a
silent prayer. I did not want to lose my cool in front of all these people.

"Before you get mad, I asked her to come.", Carlos said with his palm downward, gesturing for me to calm down while pulling out a seat for Malia with his free hand. She smiled, sat down and Carlos took the seat next to her.

"So I want you guys to talk over your issues then when that's settled you can tell us what's wrong and we can both help you with your problem, sounds pretty serious.", he continued.

"That sounds fine.", I said with arms crossed and brows furrowed.

"What are you mad at me for Victoria?", Malia spoke, palms open on the table.

I rolled my eyes with a long-suffering sigh and asked her, "Do you have feelings for Jaheem? "Don't lie to me.", I added sternly.

Both Carlos and Malia looked at
me, their faces blank for a second, and then they burst out laughing.

"Are you serious?", they both asked in unison, then looked at each other and laughed harder.

I starred intently at them, my eyes narrowed and head tilted. Their laughter stung, only fueling the fire that burned inside of me. I swallowed my retort and looked away, remembering my silent prayer.

"I don't have feelings for him V. Why would you think that? That's so insane."

"Because he said you did Malia. In Paris, he was drunk and told me all that you did!"

"Seriously? And you believed him? He is such a compulsive liar Victoria. You know he once told me he flew to L.A. to play basketball with Lil Twist and-"

I stifled a laugh, I remembered hearing that story and thinking it was bat-shit crazy that anybody fall for it. Sometimes Jaheem's lies were so big you'd never dream a person could make something like that up.

I buried my face as far as I could in my hands and bowed low on the table, too ashamed to look at them.

"So that's why you haven't been talking to me?"

"To be honest I really can't believe how moronic I was handling the whole situation. I just needed someone to hate, sorry I picked you.", I apologized looking up to face her.