CH 8

I walked with Culpepper in the castle garden's later that day "Highness I'm pleased that you're ready to fulfill your destiny; I suggest we host a party and invite local nobles". I turned away from the swans I was looking at "Why?" Culpepper smiled "We need to introduce you formally to your subjects and it will be good practice for when you eventually meet the other Monarchs of Britannia".

"Other Monarchs?" I asked, Culpepper nodded "Britannia is not an Empire, your parents and your ancestors where the High Kings and Queens. When King William conquered the other Kingdoms he allowed the Kings and Queens of Ireland, Wales and Scotland to keep their throne on the condition that that they would swear their allegiance to him and follow his orders and those of his children and descendants. King William's kindness led to the conquest of his kingdom; when Norway invaded the King of Scotland and the Queen of Wales didn't send troops, the Kings of Ireland's troops took too long to come".

"Why do you think that is? Why didn't the other two help?" I asked as we found and bench and sat on it, Culpepper shrugged "Who knows, maybe they made a deal with Norway or maybe they they thought that Norway wouldn't attack their own lands...perhaps the young Prince will consider abolishing the...Lesser Kings and name himself Emperor" Culpepper said looking to the sky as if he didn't care what I said "After all there is only one other Emperor in all of Europa; Emperor Constantine the eleventh of the Eastern Roman Empire or Byzantium, whatever you want to call his domain".

"Think of the prestige and the honor of being called the Emperor of Britannia; not even the Romans could call themselves the Emperor of these isles" Culpepper went on, finding the sky utterly fascinating and continuing to stare at it. "It does sound glorious" I admitted. Culpeper looked at me and smiled. Why? "I shall start preparations for the party immediately sire" he said getting up, bowing and walking quickly away.

I sat there for while longer, watching the two swans until Sir Panzer came up to me with a guy "Highness I've been looking for you" he said as he brought his left fist to his heart, a salute I've learned. "Highness this is George, he is appointed to be the new Knight-Commander for your royal guard. He is a Shadow and he was handpicked by Mr. Asher and myself; he has been in several skirmishes with the Norwegians and has proven himself in battle" Sir Panzer finished as George saluted me also "My life is yours, Sire" he said proudly.

-

I was in my room again getting measured for new clothes since Culpepper was scheduling the party to be in four days and up until now all of the clothes have been hit or miss since I was actually wearing my father's and grandfather's old clothes. I looked over as my door opened and Eleanor came in with a tray of food meant to be my dinner I smiled at her, hoping that she brought about my friends.

She only nodded and set the tray down; she waited as the tailor wrote down my measurements and said "I shall close my shop and get started on your clothes right away Highness; they'll be done by tomorrow night or my name isn't Thomas Appleshard!" He said proudly as he bowed and left. He dropped many hints of hoping to be my personal tailor; I liked him, he was honest.

"How are my friends?" I asked, walking over to Eleanor. She nodded "They're doing very well, Liam is very strong and Harry has a quick mind, they'll be excellent Shadows" she said as she reached into her shirt and pulled out a folded piece of paper "Harry wrote you a letter" she said as she placed the folded paper beside my food tray; "I'll come back later to collect the tray and whatever you don't eat, if you want to reply to his letter I'll take it to him" she said as she started to walk to the door.

"Thank you Eleanor" I said, she turned to me and nodded "It's my duty, I took an oath to my country...and my heart" she said "And I hope you like George, he's a good friend of mine and I'd trust him to watch my back anytime". I nodded and watched her leave before biting into a chicken leg.

In the middle of my dinner, a thought popped into my head; Eleanor was my only link to my friends so I should keep her around. Wiping the grease from my lips with a small cloth I got up and walked from my room; straight to Culpepper's office "I want Eleanor to be the Knight-Commander of my guards" I said, getting straight to the point.

"Highness George has a very long list of accomplishments and Mr. Asher as well as George's comrades recommended him; Eleanor is second in command of the Shadows and thus, very busy" he said, looking up from whatever he was writing. "I want Eleanor to be my Knight-Commander" I repeated; Culpepper folded his fingers together, a thoughtful expression on his face before saying "As you wish".

-

Culpepper's POV

I bowed as the young Prince left; he surprised me to say the least. I have to admit that I thought he would be easily to manipulate him being a farmer boy and all; but I saw that look in his eyes, the stubborn set of his jaw.

No one would be able to force him to do anything he didn't want to do; for better or for worse.

My plans had to change.