Chapter 19 To have and to hold

Começar do início

To top it all, Iolaus was not here. He had been given the day off so he could visit his fiancée, who had arrived in the city yesterday with her family.

Cyrus gritted his teeth. He had been in a bad mood all day. Tomorrow at this hour, he would be a married man. He would be expected to produce heirs on Ariane. He wasn't blind to the girl's infatuation with him. He ad seen the hopeful look in her eyes. It wasn't something he could ignore.

Despite of what some people might think, he cared about his kingdom and the people in it. He knew this alliance with the kingdom of Tireze was important, but he did not like pretence. And at the moment it seemed he would have to pretend for the rest of his life. Ariane was a sweet girl, but she was also dull. He didn't want her.

"Your highness?"

Cyrus sighed and rubbed his eyes. What had the man asked again? Something about musicians and dinner courses. "I'm sure you are capable of managing," he said, "do as you see fit."

The man bowed and retreated.

Cyrus let out a frustrated sound. He just wanted this over with. And to make matters worse, he'd have to smile through his entire stay in Tireze.

He made his way towards his quarters before someone else could bother him. Once inside, he motioned for a servant to bring him wine. He needed a drink if he wanted to get through the rest of the day. If only he could drink himself all through his wedding too.

***

"Are you nervous, dear?" Eurydice smiled at Ariane kindly and waved away a serving girl who had brought them sweet pastries.

Ariane bit her lip. Lady Eurydice had been very kind to her he past few days. She was a strong woman. Ariane admired her. Perhaps that was where Vara had gotten her strength from. But then again, Vara had probably always been strong. Lady Eurydice had shared stories of how Vara and Cyrus had been as children. They had always been up to something, causing mischief. Even now, their bond was strong.

"A little," she answered lady Eurydice's question.

Eurydice patted her hand. "Don't' worry, child. Cyrus is a good man."

Ariane nodded. "I know, my lady. I am honored to be his wife. I hope I will be able to please him."

"I'm sure you will," Eurydice told her, "you are good for him, my dear. He needs someone like you to support him."

Neither spoke of love. They both knew Cyrus didn't love his bride. But love could grow in time.

"I will not let him down," Ariane said.

"I know you won't," Eurydice said kindly, "and I am proud to welcome you in the family. You can always come to me."

"Thank you, my lady," Ariane said gratefully. She took a few deep breaths. Tomorrow was the day. And then would be her wedding night. Of course she had been informed by her nurse of what would take place. She had been told what to expect and what would be expected of her. It frightened her. It didn't sound very pleasant, rather complicated and painful.

Lady Eurydice seemed to notice her restlessness. She smiled in understanding and stood up. "I will take my leave and let you get some rest. You'll have a busy day tomorrow. You are going to look beautiful."

Ariane bit her lip as she watched the woman leave. She wanted to cry. She doubted she would get any sleep tonight.

When Chloe entered the room Ariane gestured for her to come closer. "Prepare my bath," she instructed the girl. Perhaps a long soak in the hot water would ease mind.