Evangeline

‘America?’ I asked Draco as we sat across from one another at the little table in the corner, ‘Why America?’

‘No idea, if I’m honest,’ he took a slow sip of wine and swallowed, ‘More crap the Minister can’t take care of by himself probably. Whoever appointed that man to run the country made a massive mistake in doing so. I could make a far better job with my eyes closed and my wand in another department. A child would have more common sense and ability than that man.’

I rolled my eyes in agreement before he continued on his rant. 

‘Still, mustn’t complain. After all, it is due to his incompetence that the imbecile is paying me double what I deserve. Idiot.’

I laughed at that. It was thanks to the bumbling fool that we had been able to construct our rather large home, and live a life of luxury in it all these years. I needn’t work at all but I wasn’t going to sit around all day waiting for Draco to get home. I needed my work so I didn’t go completely stir crazy. The number of times he’d suggested I just give up on my job and my reply had always been the same. No.

The waiter appeared to serve our main course before leaving with a flourishing arm wave and a low bow. We both tucked in and ate in silence for a short while before interest got the better of me.

‘Where about in America is he sending you for this trip then? Anywhere nice? We could take Cissie out of school for a weekend and pop over to visit you. Take a day trip out to do some shopping; New York maybe, head over to California for some sun at last. I do hate this weather. God knows why we stay in Britain when we could up and leave anytime for somewhere more plea-’

‘No.’ I looked up from my plate at that point as he cut off my daydreaming of beaches and bags of designer clothes. ‘I’m there to work Eva, not to go off on a jolly because you fancy a holiday.’

‘But-’

‘No, Evangeline. I said no and I mean it. If you want to go on holiday darling, we’ll book a proper one at some point, but there’s no point hauling Cissie out of school and disrupting her. You won’t get to have me with you all the time because I’ll have work to deal with. If you want a holiday, we’ll do it properly,’ Draco finished, and stabbed a potato onto his fork. I watched him as he chewed, taking a drink from my own wine glass. My nails clinked on the stem as I set it back down.

‘Alright then. Take me away for Christmas. You know I get sick of the commercial crap that comes with it. I hate snow and the cold. Take us somewhere nice and maybe I’ll forgive you for not letting me come and visit you over in America,’ I told him flirtatiously. That, I found, was always the best way to get around a man. Make them think they were in trouble and then offer them a way out if they do exactly what you want.

Draco looked sternly at me and then back down at his plate. His grey eyes flicked back up to my face and he shook his head.

‘I’ve got mother to worry about too, Angel. You know how lonely she gets at Christmas.’

I groaned internally. Bring his mother with us for all I cared. I wanted some time away with my family, somewhere where I could forget all the stuff happening at home. At home, he’s everyone’s: work, his friends, the Prophet’s, his mother’s. Away on holiday, he is mine. He can slow down, relax, and just focus on what really matters to him. Work stresses him out, and he never realises how much pressure he’s under until he gets away from it.

‘Fine,’ I replied reluctantly, finishing off my drink in a quick swig. The rest of this meal was going to be a long one, especially if he keeps up with the face he’s pulling right now. One that says he’s sorry but he won’t be backing down anytime soon. Which is typical, because usually I can wangle my way round him with a smile. But I know when he has that look, he will not give in; not even for me. So I give up for now and take another bite of the food from my plate.