wrong one | sugawara koushi

soulmate!au where your soulmate has an identical tattoo on their bodyraffle prize for

Koushi was not one to fall blindly in love.

In this world, where marrying your soulmate was the norm, who would? It would only ever lead to tragedy and tears.

Pale fingers skittered over a single silver wing; a frigid breath of the same tinged hues escaped his lips: longing.

Sometimes it seemed like he would never find the one he sought so desperately, and that he would never settle with a partner that would love him as unquestioningly and freely as a certain brunet setter and his moody ace.

There were websites for this, he knew. T4ndem, Halfpath: all had been proven successful, in more ways than one.

Somehow, Koushi couldn't bring himself to use them.

"Find them for yourself," his mother always said. "They're out there. I know it."

So he searched.

And one day, he found you.

You, with your sparkling eyes and dependable personality: you, with your caring mind and patient tone.

He fell.

Hard.

Your little mannerisms and ability to command lit a new flame in his heart. A year younger than him, Koushi set out to find your tattoo (and pray, pray, pray that you were his.)

Months passed; the two of you became fast friends.

And one day, he asked you.

"C-can I see your tattoo?"

A faint, hesitant smile appeared on your angelic features.

"Oh, Koushi..."

The silver-haired setter waited for your answer, fearing the worst.

"I've already found my soulmate."

"Oh."

"Koushi, I'm sorry..."

"No, it's okay. I'll excuse myself now."

He pelted out the door, not wanting you to see him cry. That would be the final straw.

Pitter-patter, pitter-patter.

Icy droplets splattered against his cheeks, his arms, his legs. They sliced at his skin during every moment of his guilt and despair; when he reached Daichi's house, he was soaked to the bone.

He knocked once, twice.

The captain opened the door.

"Come in, you must be freezing. Here, I'll get you a change of clothes."

"Thank you..." Koushi managed to mumble, his teeth chattering; the heater beside him began blasting hot air.

"No problem. We're friends, aren't we?"

As Daichi left the room, he brushed a hand across his closed eyes, cracking them open to see a single silver wing inked on his abdomen.

"Just friends, huh...?"

a/n: *chanting* SUGADAI SUGADAI SUGADAI