haaah?! | pan!yachi hitoka

genderfluid!reader

The doorbell rings, and you turn to the entrance, surprised. You work at a small art shop that is nestled in the midst of other tiny stores, and customers don't come often. It's not dull, but you're glad to finally be able to actually do something other than clean up at night.

"Hello, and welcome to Scrap!"

A small figure stands haloed in the light from outside; you blink and give them a wave.

"Come on in, we don't bite."

They - no, she - steps in, and you see her glancing around the cozy interior. Blonde hair hangs over a childish face: young, probably a high schooler. She looks over and squeaks audibly.

"A-ah, do you have stencils and colored paper? It's for a school project," she explains timidly. You wonder if you're scaring her or if she's just naturally this way. Hopefully it's the latter, you think, as you nod cheerfully in response.

"Yup, follow me! I'm (f/n), by the way!"

"H-hai!"

It's not hard to find her what she needs. You know the aisles by heart, and you buy a lot of your own personal supplies here. Scrap's cheaper than most places: a boon for a poor college kid like you. You wonder why this girl came here instead of a large chain warehouse, like Staples.

No matter - it's not your business to pry into hers.

"Thank you and come again!" you call as you ring up her purchase and hand it to her, neatly placed in a plastic bag. She smiles weakly back at you and ducks out the door.

You fall back onto your chair behind the counter, arms entwined behind your head.

"...who was she?"

----

It's bright and early the next day when you get up to walk to work. Fortunately, you live about a ten minute walk away from Scrap, so you don't even need a car.

To your amazement, there's already someone there.

You recognize the golden locks and deer-in-the-headlights expression. It's the girl from yesterday. Did you ever get her name?

More importantly, why is she back?

"Oh, hello! Sorry to keep you waiting," you say, unlocking the front door and beckoning her inside.

"So, what did you need? I doubt you're here for idle talk, right?"

She's staring at you. When you look at her questioningly, she flinches and diverts her gaze.

"A-ah, sorry! I just...um..."

She bites her lip.

"Do I know you?"

You blink, confused.

"What do you...Ohhh."

You had met her as a boy yesterday. Of course she wouldn't recognize you as who you were yesterday.

A smile rises to your face. You could have some fun with this.

"U-um, are you related?"

Wait, what?

You peer quizzically down at the shorter girl.

"Come again?"

She flushes a light pink.

"I talked to a boy that looked a lot like you yesterday...are you siblings?"

You let out an "aah" of realization.

"Yes, that was my mirror twin from another galaxy. He's got the same name as me, too." You wink at her. "(F/n), that is."

There's a moment of silence. The girl's jaw hangs open, a look of shock in her eyes.

"Wait, does that mean I could have been abducted by an alien?!" she mutters to herself, staring at her hands. "No, she didn't say he was a bad alien...wait, was he an alien?! Oh my god!"

You laugh; she peeks up at you through her fingers.

"Hey, hey, I'm joking. Do you know what 'genderfluid' means?"

She nods.

"A little? Wait, are you...?"

You clap your hands together.

"Yup!"

She looks at you again, examining your features.

"Haaaaah?!"

a/n: bc i love yachi