Chapter Sixteen

They all laughed together, but one of them wasn't buying it
She shouted, "Stop scaring our visitors, will you, Frank?"She grabbed the man's ear, dragging him off to the other side of the hotel, away from the others.
Floyd laughed weakly at this, looking at the other four oil lamps. They were children, younger than Eileen and him, their ages ranging from seven to fourteen. The oldest one of the group spoke out, "Welcome to, uh, our settlement." She shrugged, extending her free arm out to Floyd, then Eileen, then Fred. "Name's Lara." Lara looked more ready for the situation than them. Floyd and Eileen, who were still dressed in their pajamas from earlier this morning. Lara dressed in a navy blue hoodie, obviously being too big for her, denim shorts and sneakers. She held the lamp close to her face, exposing dark brown eyes, lightly colored skin and brown hair, put up into a long pony tail.
"Planning to stay, I'm guessing? Well, hah, that's alright. Let me introduce you to everyone." She smiled, adding, "And I apologize for lack of light. It sucks, but lamps are easiest to keep up with."
"So," Lara reached over to a small wooden table, dragging it to the center of the room, sitting down in a chair. She yelled a name, the corresponding kid running over to her in a hurry. Possibly the youngest of the four.
"This--" Lara started, getting cut off by the kid laughing obnoxiously. "Len, Len, Len!" He danced around, clapped his hands. 'Len' was annoying as fuck.
Lara rolled her eyes, sighing. "Lennon. My youngest brother. Oh, you must've saw Betty and Frank earlier. Mom and Dad. We're all kids of them," Lara leaned in, whispering to the teenagers. "Couldn't keep his damn condom on and mom skipped her pills." She winked, snickering.
"Okay, next is Thomas." She held out her hand, another boy coming from the shadows, presumably ten.
"Lara, do we always have to do the whole thing with new people?" He sighed, crossing his arms, leaning on the table, Lennon at his feet.
"Yes, we do." Lara tapped the table with her nails, "Rosa." She moved her hand out again, introducing them to a girl behind Lara's chair, shyly peeking out to look at Floyd, Eileen and Fred, holding up a peace sign as a greeting.
"Rosa's my favorite, the only one who doesn't flip out with new people. Shiest one." Lara laughed, Lennon punching her leg repeatedly. "HEY! I'M YOUR FAVORITE, I'M YOUR FAVORITE!"
Lara and Thomas both groaned.