Chapter 17

You jabbed at your plate half-heartedly. The argument from a night ago, still vivid in your eyes, made you unfocused. You felt somebody stare at your back, but you dismissed it. This morning you marched through the dining room and sat down at Laegil's side, instead of Atem's.

The breakfast ended rather quickly, with you only answering when Lord Pegasus or if somebody else asked you. You tried to smile convincingly, but you didn't think you pulled it off. You hadn't looke) at Atem the whole time, if you did you might've cried again. You didn't want to cry.

"Where are you going?" Laegil asked when you were all excused from the dining room.

"I... uh, I don't know," you shrugged, offering her a lopsided smile. She raised her brow. "Sightseeing?"

"Huh? Aren't you going to ask Atem?"

"No," you shut your mouth tight and looked away. The she-dragon stared at you for a moment. A few times she looked between you and the corridor behind.

"I'll show you around then."

"Okay."

The two of you walked outside and climbed up the stone stairs. Only then you noticed dragons. Many of them stood by their houses, in their majestic forms, all in different sizes, colors, age. Some were flying above, casting a shadow over your head from time to time. If you were in any other mood, you might have been delighted. Many were still in human forms, walking around. With a slight frown you looked over a group of men, clothed in armor, talking anxiously by the cliff. You noticed more of them walking the stairs or running.

"Mt. Tap Turpu is a home to dragons. Main home that is, a lot of dragons chose to wander off, sometimes they come back, sometimes not," Laegil said. You focused on her words. "Over here is Bronze Terrace, the second lowest one. Yesterday we passed by Stone Terrace."

"Why are they called like this?"

"They are the oldest inhabited by dragons," she said with a smug smile. "At first dragons were mostly in their natural forms, till they decided to use human appearance. Then they started using human techniques, and built houses. Lower terraces are easier to access for the ground, so now poorer dragons live there."

"Oh... then why Lord Pegasus lives there too?"

"He was birthed here, so he stayed. Or so they say," she shrugged. "Okay, so now we're passing by Ruby Terrace. Dragons aren't used to shops as people, but here many things from all over the world are exchanged."

You looked over the stands where a few dragons stood. It wasn't as bustling as city stands you saw the other day, but the objects were weird looking.

"Wanna take a look?"

"Ah, no. Let's go further up," you declined and went ahead. Normally you would be very much enthusiastic to dig yourself in artefacts, and Laegil must've noticed it too. Yet she hadn't spoken a word.