Chapter 8

The next morning you felt the effects of yesterday's running around. To put it simply, your everything hurt and all you dreamed about was to not move from the bed. But you forced yourself to get up, because you wanted to check on the bitten girl and to start studying magic.

"How did you sleep?" Yugi asked as you went for breakfast. Your party were staying at the chief's home.

Of course, you didn't want to be total freeloaders. You helped with basic housework, Atem taught the chief's sons how to use a sword, Yugi helped with the irrigation system and Laegil went hunting. She was really good with a bow.

"Pretty good. You?" you sat down and ate bread with eggs. It smelled fantastic. The chief's wife made the best breakfasts ever.

"I slept nicely too. Anyway, what are you up to today?"

"I'll study magic with the shaman."

"Magic?" he raised his brows. You didn't tell anyone besides Atem about you studying magic. Last night you told him that you were determined to learn.

"Yes. I want to be able to do something else than always being saved."

"You shouldn't be so hard on yourself, ______."

"I want to and you can't change my decision," you said decisively. "I'll be off. Have fun with Rebecca!"

"______ you too!?"

You laughed as you closed the doors. Perhaps teasing from Atem and Laegil had some effect on you. Either way, Rebecca was a pretty harmless girl.

You made your way towards the shaman's hut. On your way you met Laegil coming back from hunting. She caught up with you and decided that she wants to accompany you. At the shaman's home you met some young woman talking with the girl.

"You must be miss _____. I'm so grateful. You saved my little Marie!" she spoke squeezing your hands. "Marie, say thank you to miss ______."

"Ah, no," you waved your hands. "It's mostly the Shaman's doing. I..."

"No, no. Thank you. If it weren't for you, Marie would be dead," it seemed like the woman wouldn't budge. So you smiled at her.

"Accept thanks, kid," Laegil winked and ruffled your hair.

"Thank you, miss!" you heard the girl's voice. You sat down next to her. You saw as both females sat down on chairs near the table.

"How are you feeling, Marie? Better?

"Yup! It doesn't sting anymore," the girl grinned at you and showed you her now bandaged leg.

"Happy to hear that, "you smiled." Your mummy must have been so worried."

"But it's okay now. Where is your mummy, miss?" the girl cocked her head. Her eyes were full of curiosity and innocence.