Prologue

The Dragons.
Mythical creatures.
Horrendous creatures.

And one of them stood just few inches before you. It waited. Breathed hot, steamy air into your face. Normal person would scream. Maybe faint, maybe run as fast as he could. You didn't. Yet, you weren't brave warrior nor hero from fairy tales you read as a child.

You were the Vayis.

You smiled and started singing. Just like you did every morning, every noon, every evening. In dimly lighted cave you sang a prayer.

"Reaching towards the clear sky and beckoning for clouds

Fervently I sing a song for rain"

Your shadow danced on the walls. The only sound that was heard was your resonating voice. Your feet scratched on a cold, granitic floor.

As the last notes flew through the air you looked up at the dragon.

"Did you like it?" you asked creature. Only then you noticed that he had his eyes closed. With a soft sigh you sat on a stone.

You turned your face towards the only source of light. It was small hole in the ceiling. Warm rays of morning sun touched your skin. It wasn't like you could go outside. After all you were the Vayis.

You still weren't exactly sure what it meant. Your teacher once told you that theVayis' were females with exceptional voice that sang prayers to tame dangerous dragon. After living in the cave with the creature for seven years you dismissed idea of singing only prayers. Of course, for some time you only sang those. But after little experimenting you discovered that you could sing any song you wanted. So you sang about sun, rain, about trees and green grass you missed. Anything really, dragon didn't complain anyway.

Suddenly the dragon woke up. Glanced at you, fumed and resumed his sleep. As if he wanted to make sure you still were there.

Sunlight reflected on your silver bracelet.

You remembered first time you met the dragon.

You were sitting in the court yard with other three girls. All of you were Vayis'-in-training. You've been in the Temple since you remembered. It was your home. By now you knew every corner of the building, could recognize each of marble sculptures. You knew almost every priest and priestess out here.

You noticed rush in the courtyard. Priests were running frantically and whispering among themselves.

"I wonder what it is all about..." you mused aloud. Miliana, one of your friends, only shrugged.

Suddenly one of the doors burst open and revealed your Teacher. His wrinkled face showed distress. You wondered what caused such change in your usually calm teacher. He was strict teacher and quick to point out mistakes. For years he taught singing.

"_______!" he runned up to you and shook you by your shoulders. "Come, child."

"Teacher? What is it?" You stumbled behind him. He didn't answer and led you to the grand hall.