Curtain Call {20}

I turned over, tugging my covers to a more comfortable spot. I squeezed my eyes shut, burying my face against my pillows. But it was no use. Damn.

I sighed and pushed my covers off, getting up. I yanked open the drawer next to my bed, searching for my sleeping pills.

A groan escaped me as I remembered that Toby had taken the pills from me. I hadn't gone out and bought new ones yet.

Sitting on my bed, I checked the time. I picked up my cell phone, dialing the all too familiar number.

It rang twice before a sleepy voice picked up. "Alexander, I'm going to kill you."

"Get dressed, I'll pick you up in a few minutes," I said, hanging up.

I stood up and pulled on clean clothes, getting myself ready. After a few minutes, I left the house, plugging my phone in once I was in the car and taking off.

I pulled into the driveway and watched as Scott came out of his front door. He got in my car, slumping in the seat.

"I'll buy us food," I said, backing out and driving down towards the gas station.

Scott glanced at me. "Bennett isn't going to be happy about this."

"About me buying you food?" I asked in confusion.

"About you getting back together with Neo," he said.

I remained silent. Scott was very, very good at reading people. Or maybe he was just good at reading me.

"It makes me happy," I said at least. "He makes me happy."

"I don't care who you date," he said, which was his way of giving me his approval.

I parked at the gas station and the two of us went inside. It was dead in there, but we ordered a breakfast pizza and brought it back into my car.

I put on music as we ate together. I glanced at Scott. He was staring out of the window with his usual emotionless expression.

"Scotty, do you think you'll ever get married?" I asked.

He shook his head. "Nah. Not interested in it. I just want some dogs."

I laughed. "I never really thought about marriage. I mean, I know I want to, someday."

"Maybe you'll marry Neo. I'll dogsit for Link on your honeymoon," Scott said.

"You and Toby are not allowed near my dog," I said sternly.

Scott grabbed another piece of pizza, leaning back in the seat. "I've never been interested in dating or marriage or sex. Call me what you want. Asexual. Aromantic. I don't care. Those things just aren't for me. I dated and had sex just to see if I would like them and because that's what my girlfriend wanted. Didn't. Over it. My grandma, man, she asked me what's wrong with me."

"Nothing is wrong with you," I said. "I like having sex and you don't like having sex and there's nothing wrong with either of us."

Scott gave me a lazy grin. "I don't hold grudges, James."

I knew what he meant by that. He meant that he forgave me for all the times I had snapped at him. He forgave me for the mistakes I had made. He forgave me for the ways I could treat him and Bennett sometimes. He forgave me for dragging him with me as I stumbled along trying to find my way back to Neo.