Curtain Call {10}

***Neo’s POV***

                “It’s so damn hot,” I said, tugging on my vest.

                “Get used to it. There’s never air conditioning,” my friend, Ian, said.

                “Really? I never would’ve figured that out,” I said sarcastically, shoving the sleeves of my shirt up to my elbows.

                I guess we were wore uniforms because we were all god’s children and we were supposed to stand together or something like that. I just didn’t understand why we couldn’t be god’s fashionable children. I think our uniform designer got lost on his way to Sesame Street and ended up here instead.

                I checked my phone, but had no new texts from the fuckboy. I did, however, have a new text from Donnie.

                He had randomly texted me last night, and now we were having an awkward conversation together, carefully avoiding all talk of Alexander. Still, awkward or not, I was just beyond happy to be talking to Donnie again. I’d take what I could get.

                I felt a hand on my shoulder and spun, biting Ian. He winced and glared at me, yanking his hand away.

                “The bell rang! You were zoning out!” he said, wiping his hand on his pants. “God, you’re like a vicious puppy.”

                “I am a vicious adult dog,” I said, standing up with my bag. “Thank you very much, sir.”

                “Whatever. Want to go under the bleachers again?” Ian offered.

                “Yea, sure, let’s go,” I said.

                We turned out of the classroom and started walking down the hallway. I was so glad that the school day was finally over.

                I watched as some kids filed into the room used for afterschool tutoring, glad I was done with those days. I used to need help with math, which killed an hour of my day afterschool when I went in for help. Ugh, school.

                “Neo!”

                I stopped and groaned out loud, turning around. The incredibly attractive, airheaded brat stood at the entrance to the principal’s office with a smile on his face.

                “You know him?” Ian asked, eyeing him.

                “Toby Reed. He’s an airheaded bitch,” I grumbled. What the hell was he doing at the school?

                “I was hoping I’d run into you here!” he said, coming over to me. “Mind if I talk to you for a minute?”

                “If I never come back, it’s because he murdered me,” I told Ian. “Wait here for me.”

                I followed Toby into an empty classroom, and he shut the door, turning to face me. He had a smile on his face, but it wasn’t his usual innocent, cheerful smile. It was smug, and said he was in control right now.

                “Why are you even here?” I asked.

                “My dad was coming. He’s friends with the principal. I asked to come along!” he said.