Curtain Call {4}

Neo was drumming his fingers on the table as we listened to Bennett’s parents give some speech about why we were all here today. People clapped when they were done, and Neo let out a sigh of relief.

                “Finally. They talk for forever,” he said.

                “Because they’re important, and people listen to them,” Bennett said.

                “You are so salty,” Neo said.

                “You are so annoying,” Bennett said.

                “Can you feel the love tonight?” Toby sang.

                “No, but I can feel a burning desire to stab you in the throat,” Neo said.               

                “Don’t stab him. I need him to steal Alexander’s dog,” Scott said.

                “I never miss Alexander, but I do miss kitty,” Neo said.

                “Kitty has a name,” I said. “Vesper.”

                “I should’ve stolen him,” Neo said with a frown.

                “Why does everyone want to steal my pets?! That’s it; only Bennett is allowed near them,” I said, glaring between Neo, Scott, and Toby.

                “Careful, he might blackmail them,” Neo said. He glanced at Toby. “Is he blackmailing you, too?”

                “Bennett wouldn’t blackmail me!” Toby said in surprise. “I haven’t done anything.”

                “You could’ve accidentally kicked a puppy when you were three and he’d use it against you,” Neo said.

                “You need to be more careful with who you piss off,” Bennett said.

                “Tell it to someone who cares. I’m getting a drink. These waiters suck,” Neo said, getting up.

                “I’ll come with you,” I said, grabbing my empty glass.

                “I don’t want you to,” Neo said.

                “I don’t care. I’m thirsty,” I said. I released Toby’s hand and got up, following Neo towards the bar at the back of the restaurant.

                “I hate being stuck with you and your friends,” he grumbled.

                “I’m sorry,” I said.

                “So, how much blackmail does Bennett have on this Toby guy?” he asked.

                “None,” I said. “I told you Toby isn’t an airhead. He can outsmart Bennett in his sleep.”

                “I find that hard to believe. The kid seems like a total ditz. He’s just really attractive,” Neo said.

                I shook my head. “I’m warning you; don’t think that about Toby.”

                “You make him sound dangerous. Then again, that would definitely fit your style,” Neo said, stepping up to the bar. “Can we get refills? Water.”

                The bartender took our glasses, refilling them and handing them back. We grabbed them and began to walk back towards the table.