Chapter Nine: Breaking the Seal

Rei was perched on the roof of Ichigo's house, staring at her useless zanpakuto and bow laid out in front of her, when he phone suddenly rang. She sighed, pulling it out and answering. "Hello?"

"Rei Asaka." A very familiar voice spoke.

Rei's eyes widened. "Captain Kuchiki?"

"Yes, it's me. The Head Captain wants you back here in the Soul Society."

"What? After I just got back? I-----"

Byakuya interrupted her. "This concerns your father."

Rei nearly dropped the phone. "My---father-----. You know?"

"We came across it. Return immediately."

"Yes, sir." Rei shut the phone, then sighed again. "Rukia, Ichigo, I know you're there. How much did you hear?"

Rukia and Ichigo climbed out from their hiding place. "Enough to make us worried." Ichigo replied. "What'll they do to you once the word gets out?"

"I have no idea, though it didn't sound like the Head Captain had punishment in mind for me."

"Are you leaving?" Rukia asked.

"I have to. Captain's orders." Rei stood up. "Could you unlock the gate? I can't use my zanpakuto, though I'll bring them just in case."

Rukia drew her sword and held it out, turning it like a key. Immediately, the gates into the Precipice World appeared, and a Hell Butterfly fluttered out. She sucked in a breath, then plunged into the Precipice World, on her way back to the Soul Society.

"Head Captain! Rei Asaka has emerged from the Senkaimon!"

"Good. Let her know that she will meet Captain Kuchiki and I at the Muken." Yamamoto stood up, then Flash Stepped out of sight, arriving at the Muken a mere three seconds later.

Rei dashed as fast as she could towards the Muken, where the messenger had told her to meet Yamamoto and Byakuya. Too bad she couldn't do Flash Steps over long distances, otherwise she'd already be at the prison.

Leaping from rooftop to rooftop, she picked her way across the Soul Society, making her way to the Muken to see her father yet again.

Aizen looked up as Rei, Yamamoto, and Byakuya approached. "Ah, good to see you again, Rei. It seems as though you've finally remembered who your father is."

Rei scowled, coming to a halt in front of him. "What do you want, Aizen?"

"How terribly rude, calling your own father by his last name. Then again, it should be your last name as well."

"Listen up, Aizen." Rei snapped. "First off, I'm not addressing you as my parent, not ever. Second, I'm not using your last name ever; I'd rather use my mother's. And third, I came here at top speed because you said you could do something about my zanpakuto. So do something!"

Aizen sighed. "You're just like your mother, you know."

"Do not bring her up again!"

"Why shouldn't I? She was my wife."

"She died because you left! She told me you had important business, and would be gone for a long time. I eventually took you for dead, though she kept insisting you'd come back. Then she was killed by that Hollow. If you really cared, then where were you at that moment? Where? Why didn't you come to save her?"

Her body began shaking as she remembered the death of her mother, at the hands of that wretched Hollow, and she leaned forward, grabbing onto the bars of the cell for support. "Ayame died without ever seeing you again. And after all she said, that you'd be back for her and me. Why? Why didn't you come back?"