Chapter Thirty-Eight

~Now~

Lizzie awoke a time later, and if she hadn't still been covered in blood, she could have fooled herself into thinking it was all a nightmare.

But she knew the horrific truth.

The sight of Alice's mangled corpse would be burned into her memory for the rest of her life.

Amelia entered the room a few seconds later and silently sat down beside her. After several moments, she said, "I'm sorry," she said.

Lizzie blinked at her numbly. "You're sorry?"

Amelia nodded and dropped her gaze to her hands, which were clasped tightly in her lap. "I didn't kill her, just so you know. She was dead when I found her."

"Is that supposed to make it okay?" She knew she should be yelling, but she couldn't bring herself to believe that such a grotesque act had actually happened.

"No, it doesn't make it okay. Nothing about any of this is okay."

"Then why?" Lizzie's voice grew louder. "WHY?"

Amelia fell silent again, but she took a deep breath after the pause and let it out. "Your father and I met in our freshmen year of highschool and have been together since. We got married after we both finished collage and everything was perfect for a while. We worked well as a married couple and we both made enough money to live the life we wanted...except something was missing." She smiled briefly, but it quickly faded. "We both wanted children, but I found out that I couldn't conceive, even with all of the methods I tried.

"Finally, we heard of a doctor that claimed he could help us. And he did. My pregnancy was completely healthy. And on the day you were born, your father and I promised that we'd protect you. The day you were born was the happiest day of our lives. Marcus and I cried. Our family was finally complete.

"But then the fire happened. I had just laid you down to sleep and I left the room. I dozed off for just ten minutes, and awoke to the smell of smoke and your screams." She choked back a sob. "I-I tried to get to you but the fire consumed the room. Marcus came home and pulled me out of the house. I was broken when you died. My baby, my only baby was dead. We'd failed to protect her."

Lilith appeared then, standing beside Amelia. She had a blank expression as she stared at Lizzie.

"On the day of the funeral, a woman came to visit us. She said she could bring you back, but at a price. Marcus and I agreed; We'd pay any price if it meant having our baby back.

"The price was that we'd have to protect you from anyone who'd want to hurt you. And we'd have to-" she broke off and swallowed hard. "I-In order for your body to survive, you had to be fed the flesh of human beings."

Lizzie's world fell from beneath her feet as all of the pieces clicked into place.

"That's why you never allowed me to eat your food."

"Yes."

"That's why we had to keep moving..."

"Yes."

Her eyes blurred with a fresh round of tears. "M-Milo-"

Amelia was crying as well.

"I'm so sorry, Lizzie-"

Lizzie jumped up and backed away. "No. No, don't call me that! Don't call me that ever again!"

Amelia began to sob and hurried her face in her hands. "I'm sorry! Oh my god what have I done?"

"You made me a monster!" Lizzie's back hit the wall and she slid down and brought her knees to her chest. "I'm a monster... A monster...."

Marcus entered the room, took in the scene and attempted to put a comforting hand on her shoulder, but she slapped it away, so he guided Amelia from the room.

Lizzie was left alone with the woman who was really the cause of this.

Lilith knelt down in front of her and said, "Stop this absurd crying."

Lizzie blinked at her through her tears. "What?"

"You're not a monster. You're not a cannibal. You aren't human, Elizabeth. And in every world there is, it is eat or be eaten."

"I-I'm not-"

"No. You were human once, but the minute your parents signed my contract, they bound their souls to me and I made you my own. You are one of my kind."

"What kind would that be?" She asked bitterly. She could almost pretend that this was all some sort of sick joke.

"We are of the Dark."

"You mean like Hell?"

"There are many realms of Hell. I am the empress of the seventh circle. The souls that choose Darkness will ultimately become my servants. But you were given to me, so you are of high power as well. Casper and Zara will be your servants. Come with me now that there is nothing left for you here."

Lizzie dropped her gaze. A cold smile that only one that has truly lost everything could muster spread across her face. "Let me take care of things first, alright?"

She nodded and disappeared.