Chapter Eleven

~Then~

"Lizzie."

Lizzie opened her eyes to see a woman's face above hers. For some unknown reason, Lizzie knew she didn't need to be afraid. "Who are you?"

"I am your protector."

"Protector? What do you protect me from?"

"Those who do not understand the Gift." Her eyes narrowed. "They have killed those who are not like them for centuries. They are afraid of the unknown."

Before Lizzie could ask any more questions, she felt herself being shaken.

"Lizzie, Sweetie. It's time to wake up."

She opened her eyes again to see her father smiling at her.

"Hey there, Sleepy head. It's time to get up. We've got a long trip ahead of us."

Lizzie frowned and rubbed her eyes. "Where'd that woman go, Daddy?"

A look of confusion crossed his features. "What woman, Pumpkin?"

"The one with dark eyes."

Her father's posture stiffened. He forced his voice to be as steady as possible while a cold chill ran down his spine. "You were just dreaming, Lizzie."

She shook her head, making her white blonde curls bounce. "No, she was here. She said she was my Protector."

"Elizabeth, it was a dream. I want to hear nothing more about this, do you understand me?"

Lizzie shrunk away from his stern tone. Her eyes were wide.

He sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "I'm sorry, Lizzie. Your mother and I are just under a lot of stress."

Lizzie smiled. "It's okay, Daddy. I understand that you don't understand."

His brows furrowed together. "I don't understand what?"

Lizzie whispered just two words in reply and they brought an unexplainable smile to her face.

"My Gift."