Chapter Thirty-Two

~Now~

"Elizabeth."

What? She asked, keeping her eyes closed. Must she be badgered constantly by the dead?

"Open your eyes." The voice was firm; A warning lurked beneath it.

Lizzie knew that she should have obeyed, but she was entirely too tired. Alice's visit had worn her out. I'd really rather not.

"Elizabeth. Now."

With a groan, she lifted her lids and sat up, holding back a glare while giving the woman her attention.

Today, she wore the face of a young woman, about her mid twenties. Long black hair tumbled down her back in waves, matching her black irises. She could have been a real person, had she not the flawless white as snow skin that only her kind could have(Whatever her kind was). "Why did you disobey me? Usually you comply without question."

"I'm tired," Lizzie answered. As if on que, a yawn cut off any further words.

Lilith's eyes narrowed. "Then perhaps you shouldn't invite such tiresome and pesky guests into your home."

"I'd have to move otherwise."

"Oh? And what would be so bad about that?"

Lizzie sighed and stretched her arms above her head before standing and moving toward her closet to chose her outfit for the day. "Well, if I move, I'll have to start all over. And all of the progress I've made here will be for nothing."

"Progress?"

"Yes. I made a friend."

"You've had friends before."

"I had a friend before. And that was a long time ago." Her chest started to ache with the nostalgic memory. "What happened to Milo, anyway? I know he didn't run away."

The woman fell silent, but offered Lizzie a sympathetic smile. "All will be revealed in due time."

"Must you speak in riddles?"

She nodded. "There's a reason I woke you. You must-"

A knock suddenly sounded on the door and Amelia's voice came from the other side. "Honey? Who are you talking to?"

Lizzie glanced at Lilith, who scowled at the interruption. "Uh, I was just quoting a movie."

"Can I come in?" Her mother didn't wait for an answer before she opened the door and sat on Lizzie's bed, directly in front of the unseen Lilith.

Lizzie bit back an amused smile. "Yes?"

Amelia opened her mouth, then closed it again, thinking heavily about something. Her brows furrowed together.

Whatever it was, it was going to be as difficult to hear as it was for her to say.

But before it could progress any further, Lilith's black irises bled to the whites of her eyes. She glared at Amelia and the temperature dropped drastically.

Amelia stiffened, but tried to play it cool.

Lizzie shot the inhuman woman a confused look. What are you doing?

"She's about to break her promise," she growled.

The hairs on the back of her neck stood on end as she watched tears form in her mother's eyes.

"Lizzie, there's something I have to tell you. I-I can't keep hiding it from you-"

The more she spoke, the angrier Lilith got.

Lizzie rushed over to her mother's side and squeezed her hand. "Mom, whatever it is you're about to say, don't say. Please don't say it." Her eyes darted to the other woman, who now hovered above her mother.

"But Lizzie-"

"Mom, no. Don't say it."

Tear strayed from Mrs. Lester's eyes. "But I have to. It's not you're fault that we've had to move-"

"Mom-"

The room got colder.

"A-And Milo didn't run away-"

The energy was being sucked from the room by the breath.

"Mom, stop-"

"The fire-"

Lizzie clamped a hand onto her mother's mouth and screamed, "MOM, DON'T TELL ME!" It was then that she felt it; The intense pang of hunger and the pulsing within her brain. She backed away and doubled over.

"L-Lizzie?" Her mother's worried voice was nothing more than an echo now.

She felt the blackness overcoming her. The last thing she heard was Madam Lilith's voice lulling her into sleep, "Let yourself slip away, Child. When you awake, you'll feel much better."