Chapter Six

~Now~

Amelia climbed the stairs to her house and unlocked the door. Worry lines formed in her forehead when she saw that the house was completely black. "Lizzie," she called. "Honey, why are the lights out?" She reached along the wall and flicked the light switch. Nothing changed. When her daughter didn't answer, Mrs. Lester dropped her bags and raced toward the basement, muttering profanities. "Elizabeth?" She came to a halt when she saw a figure crouched against the wall. "Honey?"

Lizzie sniffled. "Mom?"

Amelia collapsed to her knees and took her daughter into her arms, pulling her close. "Oh thank goodness you're alright." She pulled back and squinted to try and better see Lizzie's facial expression. "Why do you have the lights off?"

Her daughter swallowed. "I-I don't."

"What do you mean? The electricity bill is paid; They couldn't have shut it off-" Her heart suddenly quickened in pace. "You didn't go into the basement did you?"

"No? But-"

Amelia jumped to her feet and pulled her cellphone from her pocked. Standing in front of the door. Though her daughter probably couldn't see it, she gave her a stern look. "I'll check the fuse box. You stay here." She clicked on the flashlight app on her phone and stepped onto the landing.

The door creaked shut behind her.