Uneasy Truths

((Some language, some adult content. EXPLICIT stuff is in bold, if you'd like to skip it.))

~Paul~

I heard her talking in her sleep, turning and whispering so very quietly. God I could wake up next to her every day and never get bored. I hadn't wanted something like this since...since...

I still couldn't say her name, or think about her. Elizabeth had a cheating husband, and I had a dead fiancé. We were quite a pair, I suppose.

"I love them..." she whispered, in a sleepy mumbled voice. I should have woken her up, instead of listening to her subconscious. But I am only human. "Sally, I love them both. I love Stefan, no matter what, and he's my husband. But Paul, how can I ever let him go. I love him too. It's impossible Sally..."

I sighed and nuzzled deeper into her. She would never have to let me go. No matter what, I'd be there as much as she wanted. Stefan or no Stefan. Wrong or right. I loved her endlessly.

"I did not sleep with him..." she whispered. “God...Paul. Mmmmmm..." I knew the dream had shifted gears. I looked at her, watching her sleep and I realized we were both still naked. This moment was so fleeting, and it could and would end soon. She'd go back to him, and forget me, and all I'd have was an amazing memory. Why was I holding back? Why did I decide that we wouldn't have all out sex all night long? Because I am insane. That is why.

I kissed her shoulders softly, and I felt Liz stirring in my arms. I let my heads drift to her stomach, rubbing softly as she slowly woke up. She turned over, blinking her eyes open and

Poking at me. I stared into her eyes, glancing down at her naked body lustfully, and then back up to her eyes. Brown eyes, just a shade darker than her honey colored hair. Stefan was right, she was exquisite.

"Paul," she said. "Am I dreaming again?" I shook my head.

"No," I said. "You're awake. And we had our night together, and now it's morning."

"And I'll go back to my husband again..." I sighed, knowing it was true.

"And I'll give you space, if you want that, until we can figure it how to be friends again..."

"Paul, I can't push you away...I need you." she'd said that twice now. It hurt more each time, because she didn't need me. Not like I needed her.

"Liz. We didn't actually fulfill the deal..." I said quietly. She nodded, knowing what I meant.

"You didn't want to Paul. I am ok, I'm great actually."

"We still could Liz. We only live once and I don't want regrets. Let me make love to you."

"Because most women regret not cheating, Paul."

"Our circumstances are unique. You are more than entitled to some gratification."