Chapter 17 Prepare for War

Start from the beginning

"As the headmaster of the Academy," Mr. Andrewson looked across the hall and made eye contact with everyone as he spoke. "It is my duty to protect each and every one of you. I had already failed some, and I will not let the Apocalypse get their hands on you. The fact that a team was dispatched to make contact with us means that others would be on their way, all we have to do is hold out until help arrives."

A few mummers broke out in the crowd and I knew what they were thinking. What if help never arrives. I glanced towards Iris surreptiously and wondered whether or not the UGE would send help to get their two operatives out. Or would they rather let them die along with the rest of us.

Now more than ever did I hope that Katerina had foresaw this and warned me. And that she had a rescue team all planned out to come swooping in at the last second. But I knew better than to rely on wishful thinking.

"Earth Elementalist, you are to report to Mr. Fisher and help strengthen and create additional barriers around the school wall" Mr. Andrewson started barking out orders, and a handful of people started moving towards Mr. Fisher, our History teacher. "Technopaths, please go with Mrs. Tam to the labs and ready whatever weapons will have. Except for Becca and Greg, would you two go to the control room and see what you can do about our electrical barrier?"

A pair of teenagers nodded and dashed out of the room, with a dozen other following out behind them, but heading in the opposite direction with Mrs. Tam, our IT technician. There were still a good number of us left and I shuffled uneasily.

"Natalie, can you please take the rest of the medic trainees and report to Mr. Oscar? Miss Sewell, would you please go with them?" Mr. Andrewson addressed Natalie at the back, and then Saralisa, who gave a small nodded. Natalie gave an encouraging squeeze to Fred, and gathered a group of five people before heading out of the room as well.

"Bradley, bring the rest of the school prefect team and start setting up the defenses around the Academy." Mr. Andrewson said and the head boy nodded. He hugged a blond girl goodbye, who must be his girlfriend, before charging out of the Hall with a dozen other people.

With about fifty odd people left, I looked at the smaller kids and sighed inside. Turning to Megan, Mr. Andrewson broke into a small smile. "Megan, would you kindly take our younger students to the simulation room? Bring a few people with you."

Nodding, Megan gave me a tight-lipped smile and gestured for Elise and two other girls to help her round up the younger kids. When they were finally gone, there were only about twenty of us left in the room; this finally released Diego from his fan girl.

"Fred, can you lead the rest of the Elementalists and Physicals except for Ivan and Grace. Go see if Mr. Fisher needs any help. If they don't, go to Mrs. Tam and see if you can come up with a plan of attack."

Surprised flickered through Fred's face as though he couldn't believe what Mr. Andrewson was asking him to do. But he recovered quickly and left with a few other people. The rest of the group consisted of two Mental section whom I vaguely recognised, the two Physicals who were addressed by name, Diego, Casey, Viktor and of course the teachers.

"Would all the teachers gather in my office, please?" Mr. Andrewson said and the teachers filed out, leaving the fourteen of us with Mr. Andrewson. Finally turning to face me, Mr. Andrewson's expression caused the alarm bells in my head to go off.