Niall : Early Night

Start from the beginning

I unsurely shook his hand, shooting Niall a confused glance before replying, “Yeah, nice talking to you. Hope the rest of the hike goes well.”

I began walking away, pulled by an irritated Niall, as Paul called out to me again, “Wait! I didn’t even get your name. Maybe we could hang out sometime?”

“She can’t, she’s busy,” Niall snapped at the guy, responding for me with an angry glare directed towards the stranger. Not waiting for him to even react, Niall spun around and tersely walked away, guiding me further from the stranger.

“Well, he was awful friendly,” I joked, hoping to lighten the mood.

“He was flirting with you,” Niall accused uncomfortably.

“Yeah, he was a bit of an idiot. But it doesn’t matter, I much prefer you,” I giggled, giving him a quick peck on the cheek.

His cold eyes continued to grumpily glare forward, unmoved by my reassuring gesture. Shrugging, I continued onwards, believing that Niall could deal with his jealousy on his own.

My lips upturned into a relieved smile as I saw the twirling fingers of smoke grasp at the humid air. June hunched determinedly over a glowing fire, promptly adding more wood to feed the flames.

“(Y/N)! You’ve finally decided to show up!” she exclaimed giddily.

“Sorry, my ride was a bit of a fluke,” I nudged a solemn Niall, “He made me walk.”

“Yeah, well I can see you two got busy,” Jesse shouted as he appeared from the woods, carrying more firewood. His eyes suggestively glanced to my soaked shirt, clinging provocatively to my chest.

Niall sighed bitterly, marching off to unload our backpacks into our cabin.

I joined a surprised June by the fire, whispering, “He’s a bit grumpy because some guy on the trail tried to make a move on me. Don’t see why it’s a big deal though.”

Jesse idly wandered towards us, followed by a reluctant Niall.

"Well, you are putting your goods on display," June acknowledged with raised eyebrows, eying my loose tank top.

"I’m just dressed for the weather," I replied casually as Niall and Jesse huddled around the fire, emitting bright embers. The specks of light fluttered for a moment, glowing like a firefly, before fizzling out and falling to the ground. The sun settled lower in the sky, preparing for its night sleep as it drifted sleepily toward the horizon. Long shadows dragged forth with the setting sun, darkness cast over our group from the army of trees surrounding the campsite.

“Dressed like a slut, you are,” Niall muttered contemptuously.

My eyes widened in surprise before lighting with defiance, “Keep calling me that and I might have to actually take to it, I’m sure I could get plenty of better guys anyways.”

His lips pressed firmly together in mute anger as he kicked at the ground with his feet.

The others in our group conspicuously avoided eye contact as their heads lowered, shy with shock.

“Aw damn, the fire’s almost out!” Jesse commented abruptly, trying to shift the awkward mood.

“I’ll get more wood,” I nodded compliantly, hoping to escape Niall’s presence for a moment.

I airily sauntered away from the scene, hiding my frustration well until I felt the weight of their looming stares lift from my shoulders.

“Fucking asshole,” I spat viciously.  My temper flared as I remembered with embarrassment how he had tried to slut-shame me in front of our friends. My cheeks burned with mortification, aghast at how he thought he could demean me like I was a mindless bimbo. Well, fuck him. If he doesn’t like the way I dress, I’ll be sure to rub it in.