11; the sweet escape

Start from the beginning

"Hose down your panties, kitten. I got an idea. Do you have a white turtleneck sweater?"

Paige went straight to her phone, her nose almost burying into the screen. "Yes, I have," she replied with so much conviction that Jouwee snorted comically.

"Of course, you have," she said like an afterthought. "Now, go get it−"

"Right."

"−a red midi skirt, even better if it's suede−"

"Got that."

"−brown suede knee-high boots−"

"Hang on!"

"−a long beige coat−"

"Uh, huh. Right, okay. Long beige coat, long beige coat..."

"−and a blush pink beret. There, done. Bonjour, mademoiselle!"

All of the clothing Jouwee had mentioned were slung on her wrist and some on her shoulder, one hand clipping the boots, and set them down on a marble countertop which was also a makeshift storage for her jewelries and bags. Letting out a pant of what appeared to be from a marathon, Paige sat down on the plum plush settee fit for a royalty, situated right next to the counter.

Paige had no exact clue why she hadn't got her mother and grandmother's knack for haute couture. They both had help a stylist and an interior designer to organize her closet but she just couldn't choose her clothing wisely.

"Thanks, Jo," she breathed in a raspy manner. "I've never liked cardio, but thanks."

"It's no problem, you silly," Jouwee said good-naturedly. "Now make him fall in love with you. Bye."

"Wait!" Paige stood up and located her phone, as Jouwee settled for a patient grimace. "Love is such a dangerous word, so be careful there," she warned with a lighthearted chuckle. "Anyway, what about my makeup?"

"Just glide on a red lipstick and keep your lids that way. It's a classic. Anything else, your majesty?"

"No." Paige glowered. "Alright, I'll talk to you soon."

As soon as the call ended, Paige quickly removed her robe and started donning everything. Five minutes later, she studied herself in her life-size mirror and bobbed her head a little bit when she was fairly satisfied at her reflection; another five minutes when she finished putting on her red lipstick and curled her hair in a way that seemed like she didn't put too much effort.

"Okay," she whispered to herself, her clammy hands rubbing against her legs. She was nervous, suffice to say. After all, it was their first official date and she'd wanted to let him see that he was important. That he had a significant influence on what or how she'd think now because he mattered. "You're doing great so far."

"Paige?"

She jumped at the sudden voice piercing through the air, and found Aoife with a twinkle in her eye as she regarded her from head to toe.

"You look so pretty!" she gushed loudly, scampering towards her.

Paige tugged a soft smile, a hint of shyness crossing her face. "Thank you, Aoife. Do you need something?"

"Oh, right," she uttered, shaking her blonde head as if to reclaim her sanity. "He's waiting for you outback. The closest gate from the mansion is the one at the back and security's not tight. I already filled Brand in so you can sneak out there."

Paige nodded, a grateful smile on her face as she swept her wavy brown locks towards her back. "Thank you so much, Aoife. Couldn't do this without you. You know how they'd react. Especially grandma. They're too protective of me. I promise I won't be long."