27| Darkness and Danger ✔️

Start from the beginning

Bells actually thought I was worthy.
She saw something good in me. She took out the time to praise me and boost my confidence. All this was so un-bella-like....

"You surprise me, Bells. I always thought you considered me to be just a girl who was mad about your Porsche."

"No, idiot, I never thought that way about you!" She laughed but then her face suddenly turned serious. "But that reminds me. You still didn't pay for the last time you made a dent in my car. So one of your first jobs when you become our Luna will be paying me a thousand dollars a month for the rest of your life."

***

I tried to stop the anxiety from seeping into me as I followed Dylan into the clearing.

The trees had been felled  to build a giant maze

The trees had been felled  to build a giant maze. A ginormous hedge covered a large area of the clearing. It was more than twenty five feet high and there was a narrow gap in front of it; like an entrance. The passage in between the hedge was extremely dark as most of the sunlight was blocked by the tall hedges on either side. I eyed the structure curiously trying to figure out what lay in store of me.

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Ashton come towards me and I turned to face him with a smile on my face. His answering smile was tentative.

"Hey," he asked me, "How are you feeling?"

Terrible... Queasy... Sick....

"Better once this is over."

"It'll go well. It really will. I had Claire go through all the plans. She said there was nothing really dangerous." He said, "And if anything does go wrong, don't panic. I'll have the whole thing stopped immediately."

"Thanks, Ash," I told him, "But I hope it won't come to that."

"Yeah, most probably it won't. I know you'll be able to do it. After all it doesn't seem to be so tough." He said thoughtfully.

Little did we know then how wrong we both were.

"So what is the challenge?" I asked him. My anxiety tripled each passing moment and it took me all my self control not to turn back and run.

"Jared will be explaining it to you now." He said and turned towards Jared who stood a few metres away from us watching our conversation with an expressionless face.

He strode towards us when Ashton motioned him to come. "Alpha Ashton," he said nodding his head once in acknowledgement. Then he turned towards me with a stiff smile, "Miss Evergreen."

Ashton frowned.

"Warrior Jared," Ashton addressed him, "I think it's time to tell Kiara about the first challenge."

"I'll be announcing that to the entire pack together, Alpha." He said. I bit back my impatience with difficulty. Couldn't he just tell it and rid me of my anxiety?