22| Receptions and Rethoughts ✔️

Start from the beginning

"You look beautiful, Ki." A husky voice spoke in my ear which caused me to blush deep red instantly.

It was annoying how the simplest compliments from him would make me blush now.

"You clean up well too." I said cheekily, turning around to face him. "Not bad. Not bad at all."

He pouted. Not bad? Is that a synonym you use for dashing and handsome?"

I laughed. Egoistic as ever.

He was actually anything but 'not bad'. To be honest, I was having a hard time not drooling over how handsome he looked in a tux.

But me being me, I could never let him go without puncturing his ego a bit. What should I say? old habits die hard...

"Oh well," I pretend to sigh, "If you really need an ego boost that badly, then I suppose a few fake compliments would help." My fingers tug at his collar as I draw him closer. "Or should I just show you instead of using words?"

The look on his face was worth - everything.

The tips of his ears reddened.

"I am not so desperate for a compliment." He huffed, "In fact you have no idea of the number of girls swooning over me right now."

My eyes automatically swivelled towards Claire, who stood a few feet away from us. She was indeed staring at Ashton and passed me a stiff smile when she saw me look at her. I smiled back, containing my jealousy.

Don't judge me, it is really difficult restraining yourself when someone cast such longing looks on your boyfriend.

"Clearly they are blind." I joked, turning back to him, "Or else they suffer from insanity."

Ashton rolled his eyes. "Says my girlfriend who has a hopeless crush on me."

I blushed profusely, refusing to meet his eyes. Unfortunately, he had me here.

"You are lucky." I mumbled. "I don't give my heart away to many."

He stepped forward which made my heart skip a beat. "What—" I stuttered.

"Shh, ca down." He placed a finger on my lips.  "I know I am." He cupped my face with his hands making me look into his warm brown eyes which held so much warmth, I would melt in his arms.

My eyes fluttered shut as he closed the gap between us and I was suddenly acutely aware that his lips were just inches away from mine. My heart was racing and my breathing hitched at our closeness.

"Ki?" he whispered and the unspoken question lingered between us. I nodded my head not willing to open my eyes.

His lips softly brushed against mine and I smiled savoring the precious moment between us.

His touch was soft and gentle yet so affectionate. A simple gesture, yet it spoke a thousand words. It didn't matter to me what the future held for me, all that mattered to me now was that I felt loved again.

* * *

I clutched the folds of my gown as I waited nervously for Ashton to finish his speech.

Any second now, and I would be called on stage for the welcoming ritual.

Don't panic, I told myself. Just breathe in, breathe out... Breathe in, breath...