20| Confrontations and Confessions ✔️

Start from the beginning

My ears perked up at once to know more about it.

"However," she continued, "It is not of the powers I wish to talk about, rather I want to talk to you the way you need to use it."

My brows furrowed in confusion. What did she mean by that? Surely I would know how to use it. Elena had been teaching me all about them since the past one month. My head was crammed up with the knowledge about special powers and their counter- powers.

Selene shook her head with a small smile. "No Kiara, I know you have learnt all about them. But I want you to use them not for your own good, but for the good of others."

I waited for her to explain herself.

"Every chosen wolf is bestowed with three gifts. And all these gifts might not appear to be like powers, but as you face challenges in life, you'll see that you were meant to have it so that others might be helped by it." She waits a beat. "Your existence itself must be a gift to others."

"You, my child are destined to have three powers. The first being the power of Teleportation. With this power you can travel to any corner of the world in a second."

My eyes widened. My jaw slackened. Within me, I heard Zara gasp.

"The second power you are destined to receive, is the power of a Healer. With the help of this power, you can heal a person's wound, by hastening the process. You might not be able to cure every illness or every fatal injury, but you will help ease their passing. Ease their pain to an extent. Bring them peace."

"The third power is something I had chosen for you since the day you were born. This power is nothing extra ordinary. However, it requires a person who is able to face everything with courage and you are the only one who is worthy of it."

My face must have worn a look of confusion for she continued. "Have you read about reincarnation, Kiara?"

I shook my head. "Am I a—?" I stammered. "Am I a reincarnated version of someone?"

"You're a reincarnated version of you." She smiled. "Just you, my brave child." Something unreadable glimmered in her eyes as she took a step closer. "And just this once, I need you to be brave again."

My stomach knotted with growing apprehension.

"You might not believe you have the courage to face your future, but I know it is in your blood and when the time comes you shall know it too."

"What is this power?" I asked her anxiously.

The Moon Goddess hesitated for a moment and gave me a sad smile. "The power of selflessness."

I blinked rapidly until her words registered in my brain.

The power of selflessness?

That was nothing wonderful or rare or amazing like I imagined. It was I had expected it to be at all.

Selflessness? There was nothing special about that! Suddenly, I felt cheated.

Why me?

Everyone else had something special.
Ashton had amazing powers while Elena had control over the mind and nature. Why did I have to receive a power that had no value of its own?