I shrugged it off and checked my social media for the last time I would be able to, responding quickly to messages and such before finally exiting them all and settling on putting my earbuds in to listen to music, setting my phone on airplane mode.

just as the song got to the chorus, i noticed someone sit next to me. a guy.

i glanced up and gave a hesitant smile to the male before turning back to the window and looking out. i fastened my seatbelt and such and watched the scenery as the plane took off.

-----

4 hours into the 12-hour flight, i was still wide awake. i ought to have been; the flight only left at 9AM, so it was still only 1PM on my body's time, even if we were passing through numerous time zones at the moment.

not only that, but 4 hours in and i could tell that the person sitting next to me really wanted to say something. he kept glancing at me, opening his mouth, and looking away as if he thought better of it, as i had my earbuds in.

i decided to give it another hour, seeing how long it would take for him to break his composure and want to speak.

5 hours and 47 minutes into our flight, the man's composure broke and he tapped my shoulder.

i stopped my music and pulled my earbuds out, turning to him.

"hm?"

"hi, my name is... hyuk, sanghyuk. i.. you speak korean?"

i chuckled a little at his accent when trying to speak english but nodded all the same.

he let out a relieved sigh and nodded, switching to his native language.

"hi! my name is hyuk. my hyungs got seated away from me, and i got bored just sitting here.. so i wanted someone to talk to... and since we're sitting together..."

"you thought we could talk?" i finished.

he nodded with a small smile and i nodded in understanding.

"ah, okay then. let's talk."

------

8 hours into our flight, 2 hours and 13 minutes into our conversation, hyuk has already told me his full name, that he's part of a korean boy group - one i'm not familiar with, much to his relief - and that he thinks my makeup is nicely done.

we've also exchanged music and recommended some to each other, and even share earbuds for the other to listen to our favourite songs.

-----

nearly 11 hours into the flight, 6 hours into my conversation with hyuk and it's gotten a lot better.

he's gotten up to go to the bathroom about five times, me about four times. we exchanged ids and phone numbers, noting them in our phones. he's finally managed to pronounce my english full name, and memorize my korean name.

he's also apparently heard of me before. apparently one of his members heard one of my korean raps online somewhere and liked it.

------

11 hours and 50 minutes in and we're about to land.

hyuk's excitedly decided that we have to be best friends for the duration of isabella and i's stay in korea and to contact him if i need any recommendations for anything.

finally, we land in south korea, after 12 hours and 7 minutes. it would be about 9PM in california, but for us in korea, it's 2pm the next day and i can finally say that i've traveled to the future.

hyuk and i departed and he left first with his friends and i waited for isabella.

both of us made sure we had our carry ons again and we headed off the plane.

"i stood up sometime during the flight.. who was that guy you were talking to?" isabella asked while she looked around the airport while we walked to find luggage claim.

"ah, his name was sanghyuk. han sanghyuk, i think. said he was from some korean boy group." i shrugged nonchalantly and pulled a pack of gum from my bag, taking a stick for myself and holding the pack in her direction.

isabella looked in my direction with wide eyes. "what was his group's name again?"

"vips? fish?" i wrinkled my nose, trying to recall it. "oh! vixx!"

isabella gasped and smacked the gum pack out of my hand, out of shock, i guess.

"what?! hyuk from vixx? you don't know them?!"

"okay, i get that you're excited or whatever, but don't abuse my gum. rude."