0.1 - airport

[edited 05/17/18]

[re-edited 09/001/18]

"are you girls sure you've got everything?" isabella's mom asked us for nearly the fiftieth time while i left isabella to answer and took my time, taking a selfie instead.

"yes mom, we're fine." isabella - or jaemin, as her korean name was - assured her mom as we went out to the waiting taxi.

"okay, okay.." her mom took a few deep breaths. she seemed to calm down before the panic was back. "how long will you two be in korea again? days? weeks? was it months? please tell me it wasn't a year, or-"

"it's a year, mrs kang." i interrupted politely, slinging an arm around the older woman's shoulders.

i'd only been with their family for a week, but the two of us had grown quite close - as close as you can with your past internet friend - now real friend's - mom.

"don't worry, i'll keep your daughter safe." i promised her, brushing my inky hair behind my ear.

though isabella and i were best friends and leaving for another country in literally two hours, the two of us were almost four years apart. while she had just turned eighteen, i was 21, going on 22.

"ah, you better." mrs. kang gave a huff and ruffled both of our hair before dragging us to the taxi and helping us put our luggage in. "and one of you better call me every week. or every day would be even better."

i chuckled and shook my head in amusement as she continued to talk to herself, grumbling while mr. kang came out with the rest of our things; two more bags and our carry-ons.

"at that, the two of you better alternate between calls. one of you call me one week or day, the other calls me the next. okay?"

"alright, mom. please chill. it's one year, not forever. we can even video chat sometime if it makes you feel better."

jae's parents seemed pretty content with that and finally pulled the two of us in for hugs. i'd only known them for a week in person, but i hugged back awkwardly anyway, patting their backs before pulling away.

"be safe, call me when you've both landed. i don't care what time it is here, but do it. make sure you eat healthily, don't let each other drink too much. actually, isabella don't drink at all, you're not legal in korea yet, or the states for that matter." mrs. kang continued, even as we got into the taxi.

"okay, mom. we will, promise, i love you, i'll see you in person again in a year." isabella said, closing her door before quickly urging the taxi driver to get a move on.

i couldn't blame her, we had an hour to get to the airport, and once we were there, we had about an hour we would need to go through the whole process and find our terminal.

much to our luck, the taxi driver complied once the trunk was closed and we were finally off.

-----

"this is it!" isabella squealed excitedly as they called our flight for boarding.

"i'm so excited." i whispered, squeezing her hand as we started to walk.

we made our way and found our seats. unfortunately, we weren't seated together. i was a few rows from the front while isabella was about six rows behind me.

We said our dramatic goodbyes and took our seats. I sat in my row, next to the window on the far right, and glanced across, where the other seat was empty.