Chapter 56

67. Call Green Constructions and set up a meeting with Sam.

I take a deep breath, at least something on this list makes sense. I pick up the phone and dial Green Constructions, asking if I can speak with the manager in charge. After that gets solved I look back at the list.

68. Bring Sam a latte.

I look over at him through the glass panel that connect our offices. He's holding a document in his hand. When I pay closer attention, it's the contract.

I frown. What's in the contract?

The idea of getting drunk again doesn't sound appealing and neither does sneaking in his office again.

He places the contract back in the top draw of his desk and locks it with a key. He turns his head my direction but I pretend I'm working by pressing random buttons on the laptop keyboard.

When I'm sure he's no longer looking, I head to the cafeteria to get him his latte. I sit there for a good half an hour drinking a raspberry ice tea, thinking about Sam and why his behaviour seems off.

I don't want whatever it is, the contract or anything else, to ruin our relationship.

I get Sam's latte and I take it to his office. I knock twice before Sam calls for me to come in and then I place the latte on his desk.

Hey looks up at me and smiles. "Hey babe."

I smile back even though I feel sick in the stomach. "Hey."

I sink down on the couch. "Mind if I chill here for a while?"

"Go for it, Vi."

Sam gets busy with his work and I fumble with my phone to pass the time.

He walks up to me and pulls me up by grabbing my hand. He wraps his arms around my back and pulls my body against his. "What's wrong? You seem off."

I take a deep breath. "I feel like I'm losing you."

He runs his hand through my hair. "Why do you think that?"

"Because it's true."

He pulls back to watch my face. "It's not true at all."

"Well it feels like it."

Sam squeezes my hip and then whispers in my ear, "I love you, more than anything. There's no way you're getting rid of me that easily."

I smile as I punch his shoulder and hug him back. I feel the tension leave until my eyes fall on the top draw of his desk.

I pull back and turn to my office. I can feel Sam's eyes on my back.

69. Print out document labelled Party Invitations and fill out every guests name in the list of five hundred guests.

I find the list and print it out then grab a pen and write each guest's name individually. By the time I'm done, a good two hours has passed.

I go through the list trying to get it done to distract myself. After reaching number 73, I stop.

I pull a book from my bag and begin reading. From time to time I look over at Sam, to see what he's up to.

After my short little break is over, I try to complete the last few things on the list.

77. Order Pizza for the whole office.

I dial ordering a good eighty boxes of pizza.

78. Pick up the staff gifts from the post office.