Chapter 45 - Sam's Point of View

*Sam's Point of View*

I don't tell her but that wound seems infected and it looks bad. Almost spreading across her back.

She had changed into a dress when I told her we'd go to my parents place. Whilst I insisted she was fine in shorts, she wanted to look sensible.

She fiddles with the side of her skirt as the limo drives us to my parents place. I grab her hand for reassurance.

I can tell she's in pain. She's not leaning against the car seat because her back hurts but she's pretending everything's okay.

I've also lied to her, telling her the wound looks okay.

She looks at me and smiles as she places her head on my shoulder. I can't smile back.

"We're here, sir," the driver says.

I nod in appreciation as I help Violet out of the limo.

Daniel runs up as he sees me, immediately throwing his arms around me. "It's good to see you, bro."

"You too, bro. How is Max?"

Violet takes a step forward to hear Daniel's response too. His expression drops as he looks at his feet.

"He refuses to believe we're his family. Keeps saying he wants to be on his own. Can't leave though because doctors told him he needs to stay here."

Violet hugs Daniel. "I'm so sorry."

He puts his arms around her. "I'm glad you're here, Violet."

She winces from the pain.

Daniel immediately pulls himself back. "Is everything okay?"

She nods. "I'm fine, just tired."

"Understandable, you've been through a lot yourself too."

We walk in together and I leave them there to go upstairs to see Max.

He's sitting on his bed with a book.

"Hey Max, how are you?"

He stares at me, then at the photo frame on his bedside table. The one of us at the beach.

"I'm guessing you're my brother, I've heard about you."

Those words seem like a dagger piercing my heart.

"I am your brother," I say seriously.

I sit on the side of his bed. "How are you though?"

He watches me carefully. "Look, you don't have to pretend to care. Let's be real."

He doesn't even sound like Max. "I'm not pretending."

"I barely know you. All I've been told by the doctors is that you're supposed to be my brother. I don't remember you though so I don't need sympathy from a stranger."

"A stranger? Is that what I am to you now?"

"Relax dude, don't get worked up. You can't honestly believe I'd call you brother. Heck I want to get out of here but I'm stuck."

I take a deep breath. "I do expect you to call me brother. After everything we've been through, this is how you react." I try not to raise my voice but it happens.

I reach over to grab his hand but he shoves it away.

"Don't get too comfy. You're my brother, I get it but give me time."

I nod as I get off the bed and walk out. It's like I've lost Max forever.

Daniel watches me with teary eyes. "Give him time, I'm sure he'll come around. For now we've got to be patient."

He grabs my hand as he signals me to be quiet by placing his finger on his lips. He drags me to his room and shuts the door.

"What's wrong with Violet?"

"What?"

"Don't act clueless. Something's wrong with her, I can tell."

"Her wound is infected, it's spreading. Her whole back is gone red."

"Okay, so what happens now?"

"I don't know but it's getting bad. She's not improving but getting worse."

"Wait here," Daniel says as he walks out the room.

Few minutes later he brings Violet up.

"Violet, I know this may sound strange coming from me," he says. "But can you please turn around and lift your shirt."

I look at her, she's changed out of her dress into a shirt a shorts.

She looks at me, I signal her that it's okay to do so.

She turns around and lifts her shirt up. Daniel watches as the infected wound comes into appearance. Her whole back looks like she's caught a disease. His expression falls and I know whatever it is...is bad.

She pulls her shirt down and looks at us. "What's going on?"

Daniel looks at me and then back at her. I can tell his contemplating whether to tell her or not.

"Have you seen your back?"

She shakes her head. "No, why?"

I get up and walk over to her and pull her into a hug. "It doesn't look good," I whisper in her ear.

She goes rigid. "What do you mean?"

"You're getting worse and so is your back."

She pulls away from my hug. "And?"

Daniel interrupts. "It means we need to get you to a doctor now."

"You say it like im dying."

Daniel stares at his shoes.

That instance, she falls to her knees and begins coughing. The only problem is, there's blood.

Daniel and I immediately run up to her to grab her as her eyes shut and her head sways to the side.

She falls in my arms. "I'm okay," she whispers.

"You're coughing blood, you're not okay."

"I know."

"What!" Daniel says. "Don't tell me you've known about this and hid it."

"You've got bigger problems."

I grab her in my arms as Daniel fixes his bed so we can put her on it.

"I'll call the doctor to come in," Daniel says as he grabs his phone from his pocket.

I love the concern Daniel shows for Violet, as if she's part of the family.

I don't want to lose her. I don't think I could handle it.