Chapter 26

Oh God what did I just do? Why do I never think before I speak? I looked up and saw everyone staring at me in shock.

"Well there goes our secret..." Adam, my ex, said before he bolted away from us and out of the park.

"Jessica, is that true?" Calum said, sitting down next to me. I didn't even notice I'd sat down. Warm tears were rolling down my face. I nodded and looked away.

"Guys..." Calum started but Michael interrupted him. "We'll be by the swings" he said as the other boys walked away, leaving me and Calum alone.

I felt his hand on my shoulder. "I never told anyone, if that's what you want to know" I said, still not looking at him. "Just another thing that made me as fucked up as I am" I added bitterly as an afterthought.

"Jessica, I..." he said, but he trailed off. "Why didn't you tell anyone? How did he-when?" He said.

I turned to face him and sighed. This is something that has been bottled up inside me for 2 years.

"I was fifteen" I started with a shaky breath, not sure how to say it. "It was my sister's first year at school. She came home and asked if she could have a play date with one of her new friends. So, the next day she came home and waited for her friend to be dropped off. My aunt and uncle were out so I was in charge. The doorbell rang and I answered it. Her friend was dropped off by her older brother, Adam. The guy that-anyway." I said, a tear rolling down my cheek.

"He was 17 then. Even though he was two years older, we started talking as our sisters played. And then we got to know each other better and eventually, he asked me to be his girlfriend. I said yes. He was nice back then..." I trailed off, staring at a spot on the grass.

"I went to his house one night and one thing led to another and he started taking my top off. I told him to stop, but he carried on. I tried to leave but he...he was strong and then he-he held me down and..." I continued the story and the memories replayed in my head as if it was happening all over again.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't be loading all my problems onto you" I said as more tears fell. I felt Calum's sleeve under my eye as he wiped a tear away. I looked at him in surprise and he immediately looked away, his cheeks turning red.

And then I did something before I could think about it. I hugged him, resting my head on chest as silent tears ran down my face.

I saw a look of surprise on his face but then he put his arms around me and held me close. "Calum..." I started. I'm ready. I like him a lot, so why not be in a relationship with him?

"Yeah?" He asked. "I-" I froze. What am I doing? I can't do this...
"Thank you" I said instead. "You're welcome" he said. "Is it okay if we stay like this for a while?" I asked out of the blue. He nodded.

"The boys aren't gonna stop about this if they see us" he laughed. "I don't actually care" I said with a smile as Calum pulled me closer to him.

"You know the grass is really wet right?" I said after a while. "Oh well, too late" Calum laughed. We carried on sitting there together and laughing.

And to think, just last week I was considering suicide. What was I thinking? Life isn't as bad as I thought.