t w e l v e

Maddie's POV

"MADDIE!"

My eyes shoot open and I scream, falling off the bed.

Well, this isn't the first time this has happened.

"Ow! Cameron!" I whine. I slap him on the chest, causing him to cough.

"You're welcome." he says. He was in the middle of putting a shirt on. He slides it on and turns to go back to the dresser to find some more clothes.

I sit up, sitting back on the bed I just fell off of. I rub my eyes and get up to the bathroom. I close the door, grabbing a lush brown towel and some of my shampoo and conditioner. I quickly shower, getting out and draping a towel around myself. I wash my face as usual. I brush my teeth because I wasn't really hungry for breakfast yet, which I found odd since I'm usually starving in the morning.

I brush my hair and continue morning routine as usual.

When I'm done, I come out of the bathroom and go to the dresser, grabbing a pair of undergarments. I just grab a pair of spandex shorts and a t-shirt to cover up in so I can come back out and properly choose my outfit.

I retreat back into the bathroom to get changed quickly, opening the door to go back to the dresser, but instead I crash into Shawn, who was standing in front of the door, facing away from me and talking to Cameron. He turns and laughs at me, helping me up.

"Loser." he says to me, jokingly.

"Douche bag." I retort. He laughs and I roll my eyes. I was glad we were friends again, I really missed his sarcastic nicknames for me. I go to the dresser again, pulling on a pair of athletic shorts over my spandex and pull on my Nike running jacket with the fluorescent logo. I slip on my black Nike Free's and swipe my hair into a ponytail quickly. I grab my earbuds and my phone, heading for the door.

"Where do you think you're going?" Cameron asks.

"For a run." I reply.

"Have Shawn go with you!" Cameron yells after me. I hold back a groan because I remember Shawn and I were friends again. Shawn smiles, grabbing his running shoes. He pulls on his running shorts over his boxers from yesterday. I cringe.

"Ew." I say. He gives me a curious side-glance.

"Aren't you going to put on a clean pair of shorts?" I ask.

"Nah, these aren't even dirty. Just because I wore them yesterday doesn't mean they're dirty." He says, smiling. He ties his shoes, walking over to me.

"Let's go." He says. I nod, following after him out the door. We take off down the stairs and start jogging out of the hotel and down the road. It wasn't very busy at all, which was nice. It was quiet and peaceful today.

We run at a nice pace for about a mile, before Shawn instantly sprints ahead with a big grin on his face. Confused, I run after him, trying to catch up, but of course he was too fast for me. I didn't care, though, I still ran after him. It felt like my heart was going to explode from running so fast, the adrenaline kicking into my system.

Why were his legs so long?

I eventually caught up, though, to my surprise, but he starts getting faster. I push my self harder, but he seems to get faster and faster, before I realize I'm getting slower.

I stop, grabbing my head, feeling slightly dizzy.

Shawn stops running when he realizes I've fallen quite a ways behind.

"Hey, you okay?"

"Y-yeah." I whisper.

"Maybe we should go back." He suggests. I nod, turning to follow him, but instantly loose my balance. I cry out, falling onto the pavement.

"Oh my god-" I hear Shawn say. His words start to become distant and his face blurs. I try to speak, but I can't.

And then everything goes black...

-

Shawn's POV-

Cameron suggested I go running with Maddie, which I didn't mind. I wanted to make sure she would be safe and that also would gives us some time so we could talk.

I agree and get ready. We start our run along the road, going at a steady jog for a while. When I see Maddie falling behind slightly, I sprint forward to boost her energy and give her a challenge. I hear her laugh as she sprints after me.

She catches up soon, maybe even surpassing me, but then I realize she starts slowing down. I glance at her and see a confused look plastered on her face and she stops abruptly, gripping her forehead.

"Hey, you okay?" I ask. She nods.

"Y-yeah." She says. Maybe she was just tired.

"Maybe we should go back." I suggest. She nods, turning to follow me, but cries out and falls, crumbling on the pavement.

"Oh my god, Maddie! Are you okay?" I ask. She squints, trying to focus on my face, but she can't seem to concentrate, before she loses consciousness.

"Oh my god." I say. I panic, not knowing what to do. I left my phone in the apartment.

I pick her frail body up and start carrying her back. Unfortunately, no one really drove this road, so I couldn't wave down any help.

I can't help but start crying, upset with myself and concerned for her safety. What was wrong with her? What if it was my fault? What if I pushed her too hard?

Maybe she was just dehydrated.

Tears run down my cheeks, and I sprint to the hotel as soon as it's in sight. I barge into the hotel room, apparently in the middle of recording a YouTube video with Cameron. Everyone turns to look at me, their eyes instantly widening as they see my face and Maddie's crippled body in my arms.

"Help her." I whisper. It's all I can manage to choke out, before collapsing on the bed, holding her close to my chest.

I couldn't lose her.

⌲⌲⌲⌲⌲⌲⌲⌲⌲⌲⌲⌲⌲⌲⌲⌲⌲⌲⌲⌲⌲⌲⌲⌲⌲⌲⌲⌲⌲

HEY GUYS! How was this chapter? And most importantly, what's wrong with Maddie? 😦

Comment and vote, please ❤️😊🙏🏼

And thanks so much for almost 340 reads, you guys rock. 😘

(word count: 1051)