Chapter 57

||There is great power in herI feel it when she walks; it is there when she breathes, and it's intwined in her words when she speaks.||

*9 months ago*

Anger pumped through her frozen body as she stood in the corner of Tony's apartment, unsure of what to do with herself. She watched the Avengers move carefully around the large area, obviously trying their best to be calm around her.

It wasn't working.

She could sense their stress all the way from where she stood, and it made her want to scream.

Hours had passed since they left the broken city of Sokovia, only hours had passed since she lost the only person in her life who still loved her. Nothing mattered to her anymore, nothing at all. She couldn't feel him in her heart like she used to; there was no more life in her brother, and that tore her apart.

When she realized the room had grown completely quiet, she looked up, and saw each and every one of the Avengers staring at her. They had their hands up, walking towards her slowly, but she didn't understand. She could see Tony mouthing something, but she couldn't hear anything.

From the window beside her, she could see her reflection, and in her reflection, she saw her hands—the scarlet red of her hex glowing from her skin. With a grunt, she managed to calm herself down, and her hex quickly vanished. When she looked up at the team again, they were still staring.

Tony looked terribly uncomfortable, as if he didn't know what to do; Thor and Clint stood near the bar, their heads down in defeat; Natasha didn't look away from Wanda, she just stared at her with tears in her eyes; Steve stood the closest, his shoulders tense and his eyes wide. They all looked so terrified of her, and Wanda didn't know how to change that.

Wanda took a step forward, and everyone took a step back. It was clear that the only person who wasn't afraid of her was Pietro, and now he was gone. "I'm sorry," she spoke, and she could feel the sting of her tears in her eyes. "I shouldn't be here," she began to walk towards the elevator, and she drowned out the sounds of their protests, knowing very well that she'd only cause trouble if she stayed. 

When she reached the elevator, she brought up her shaking hand to press the button, and when the doors opened, she stepped in. 

"Wanda, wait," someone called out, but she kept her eyes down as she pressed the button for the first floor. 

Sokovia was her home, and that's where she would go. She'd make a living for herself, perhaps even have a family some day. But staying in New York wasn't going to do her any good. 

Before the elevator doors could close, someone slipped inside. 

He knelt down on one knee in order to catch her attention, and she had no choice but to look down at him. The Captain was a handsome man, very, very handsome. She was aware of it from the moment she laid eyes on him, and even now, when her vision blurred with her tears, she still acknowledged his beauty. 

"You can stay with us," he told her, and she took in a deep breath, trying to slow her thoughts down. "You haven't slept since yesterday, and I won't let you leave until you've rested." Wanda crossed her arms, leaning against the elevator wall. "I know you're hurting, and I know how much it hurts, but please stay." 

He moved closer to her, and all she could do was close her eyes and avoid his gaze. 

"You're scared of me," she whispered, feeling the warmth of is body grazing her skin. "All of you are scared of me." 

"That's not true..."

"But it is," she opened her eyes, and she could see his beautiful face through her glowing irises. Steve swallowed hard, standing back up. Wanda had to lift her head up to look up at him, but he didn't move away. He was captivating for many reasons, but Wanda found that his placid personality was something she admired already. It was soothing.