Chapter 41

||"Sometimes being a brother is better than being a superhero."||

"Heartbeat is decreasing, let's keep pressure on that wound. Find me an exit wound," the nurse beside Wanda ordered the other's quickly, and she couldn't figure out how many people were actually there beside her. She felt nothing, only exhaustion, and she wondered what was even going on.

But when she attempted to speak, nothing came out of her mouth. Her eyes were glued shut, and she couldn't even find the energy to open them up.

"Exit wound on her left; no major organs have been hit. It's a clean shot."

"Let's stitch her up and give her some blood. You're gonna be fine, Wanda," the nurse said, squeezing her hand. Wanda couldn't depict what they were even talking about, their voices were too muffled.

She wasn't going to put much force into moving her body, so she let the darkness consume her. Then she was asleep.

*2 days later*

There was a thick silence that she felt before she came through, and then there was the pain; piercing pain that she was too familiar with.

At first, she couldn't move or even open her eyes, but after minutes of failed attempts, her eyes fluttered open, and she was bombarded with a stabbing pain in her back.

She bit down on her lip to refrain from screaming. The first thing she saw was the blankets that covered her. For a moment she didn't know where she was, but then she saw the familiar walls of the building.

Her eyes moved down to her body, and she pulled the blanket down to inspect the damage.

She was only wearing her bra and underwear, and there was a white bandage wrapped around her waist. Her hand traced the thin bandage, and she felt a small bump near the lower left part of her abdomen. Wanda covered herself back up with the blanket and relaxed herself back on the pillow.

There were sounds of people walking past the door, but no one came in. The medic room phone was across the room, so she wasn't able to reach it. But there was a remote sitting beside her on the bedside table, and she bent over to grab it. Wanda ignored the pain on her side; she was done feeling pain.

The TV came to life and she searched through the channels for something interesting. They were all American shows, none she has ever heard of. She settled for a movie called "The Conjuring," which she immediately regretted the moment she realized what it was.

"It's a great movie," the control fell from her hands, and she looked over at the door, where Steve was standing. He was out of his uniform, wearing blue jeans and a white t-shirt. His hair was a disgruntled mess, and her fingers itched at the mere thought of combing it down for him. "Movies are great, when you have the time and all."

"My brother?" she asked him, unsure as to why he wasn't there beside her when she woke.

"He's asleep. It's been a rough two days for him."

"I can't remember what happened," she admitted, turning the tv off and trying her best to sit up.

Steve rushed over to her and helped her, snaking his arm around her back to give her leverage. She could smell the fresh scent of body wash on his skin, and as she scooted herself up, her nose grazed against his cheek, and something familiar pulled in her stomach as heat ran through her.

"There you go," he said softly, then stepped back. He grabbed the chair near her bed and sat down, moving up so he could be close enough to rest his hands on the soft cushion of her bed. "You were shot," he said to her, and Wanda furrowed her brows, bringing her hand to her bandage.