Chapter 50

||So I would choose to be with you, that's if the choice were mine to make.||

Emma lead the way, her movements as graceful as they could possibly be. Beside her, Steve kept a small distance between them, and she was aware of every single move he made. From his steps, to his hands relaxed at his sides, even to the way he breathed. 

"Captain, we don't need supervision," Emma began, looking back at them before opening the door that led downstairs. "We are quite capable of protecting ourselves." 

"Nothing wrong with an extra set of hands," he replied. 

"Who said we will be needing our hands?" Emma retorted, giving Steve a sharp grin. Wanda couldn't tell if Emma was joking, but she was glad that Steve tagged along--she wanted him there.

The Agents guarding the door stepped aside, and Steve held the door open as they walked in. The hallway itself was warmer than usual, and Wanda sensed Katarina's power before even seeing her. It was almost magnetic, pulling at her, wanting her. It was a power that would need incredible strength and control. 

Sitting on the floor, was Katarina. Her legs were crossed and her head bowed, and every inch of her skin was covered in golden flames that sparkled against each other. Golden embers trickled down beside her, bouncing off of her like gold marbles. She was breathtaking. 

Without meaning to, Wanda's magic began to spiral through her hands, ready to defend in case things went wrong. It took a lot of concentration to relax herself. 

"It doesn't hurt her?" Steve asked Emma. 

"It does, but she'll get used to it. Every mutant learns to condition themselves--it is all a process." Emma knelt down in front of the glass and when she brought her hand up to the thick glass, a ball of Katarina's fire shot at her. The gold flames looked as though they were searching for something to burn and kill, and Wanda even felt herself step back. "Until we teach her to control her mutation, we'll have to keep her here."

"Trask is expecting her tomorrow," Steve stated, kneeling down to meet eye to eye with Emma. Her diamond stare was enough to scare any man. "Take your time then, we'll figure something out." He stood back up, and peered down at Wanda, who was now leaning against the hallway wall, looking back up at him. She watched as his hand came up, touching her chin, and she could almost feel her heart pausing with every second his skin was touching hers. 

"That'll be all, Captain," Emma said, her voice breaking the moment. Wanda was embarrassed, and she gave Steve a quick smile before joining Emma on the hallway floor. She didn't watch him leave, but she heard him as he opened the door and closed it. On the other side of the glass, Katarina was still sitting, her flames growing weaker by the minute. "How long has that been going on?" Emma asked, and Wanda paused, unsure of what she was asking. 

But then she realized, answering, "Not too long." 

"Hmm, could have fooled me." The White Queen took a second to look away from Katarina, and when Wanda's eyes met with her icy blue ones, she shivered. "Glad to know that the events of your life haven't tainted your will to love." 

Wanda's eyes looked away, and she could feel the fire warming up her skin, even through the thick glass. "Love...," she thought for a moment.

 "What a strange concept, but inevitable nonetheless," Emma finished, and Wanda wondered for a second if there ever was a man in Emma's life who she loved. "Now, back to this one," Emma closed her eyes and let out a deep breath, and Wanda knew their conversation was over. So, she focused on Katarina, and how the girl lifted her head to look at them. 

She was crying--not normal tears, but droplets of fire that looked like lava. It was incredible, yet unsettling at the same time. 

"Our only chance at helping Katarina control her powers is to allow her to access her mental control, but I'll need your help." Wanda peeled her eyes away from Katarina and looked down at Emma's sparkling hand. She took it, and the moment their hands touched, Wanda's magic came to life. Wanda's eyes slammed shut, and he her head fell back as her powers joined with Emma's.