Chapter 40

||I drop my sword and cry for just a while, 'cause deep inside this armor the warrior is a child.||

The rustling of feet and whispers alarmed Wanda, and she jolted up from Natasha's bed. She felt her eyes begin to turn over with red as her heart began to pound with a feeling of uncertainty.

Natasha stood, unlocking her door and stepping out into the hallway. Agents ran by them quickly, and Natasha immediately ran back into her room and grabbed the bag from under her bed. Wanda stepped back into the room and watched Natasha pull out two hand guns from her bag, attaching them to her belt.

Not even a second later, she felt her brother's hand on hers.

"There are people here," he said roughly, grabbing Wanda's hand and pulling her close. "I'm taking her downstairs where they won't find her," he said to Natasha, and Wanda pulled her hand away.

"No! I'm going to stay up here," she said to her brother. "I can fight," she concluded, holding her ground. Pietro stared down at her, and she knew that he wanted her safe more than anything, but she also knew that he was no match against her.

"Fine," he said, "but you stay beside me. These men have guns half your size." Pietro turned, and Wanda and Natasha followed. They hurried down the hall towards Bruce's lab, where the rest of the team was preparing. Wanda caught Steve's suit almost instantly, and she took a second to admire the soft tone of navy blue that covered him. She always loved his suit.

"How many," Natasha asked, attaching small discs to her wrist.

"Seven, but they're all heavily armed," Emma answered.

"Someone call Thor and Vision and tell them to stay put," Steve chimed in, grabbing his shield off of the counter and walking towards Wanda. She immediately felt herself harden up inside. "Stay with your brother, Natasha and I will handle them." He began to walk away, but she grabbed his arm.

"I can help," she told him. "Just like any other mission."

Steve looked down at her and she silently begged him to say yes. There were just seven of them, it sounded simple.

"Take her out through the back, then come back and help Natasha and I," he said to Pietro. "We'll tire them out, then the rest is for you to finish," he said, giving her a ghost of a smile. She nodded her head and Pietro picked her up, running her out to the back of the building. When they arrived, she put her head against the door, listening.

"It's safe," she said, and he quietly opened the door and they both walked out. She could feel the men moving closer from around the building, and she tapped Pietro's shoulder, telling him to go back inside. He hesitated for a moment, but then nodded his head, giving Wanda a quick kiss on the head before running back inside.

Wanda slid behind a small crevice that was indented in the building's wall. She crouched down and waited for the men to come around. She felt a rush of adrenaline pulse through her, and as the men crept closer, her eyes lit with anticipation.

___

He looked down at the computer screen and gave Natasha and Pietro a quick run through of what they would need to do. Tony had insisted that he go, but there was no need for Tony's help.

"You'll cause a disturbance," Steve told him, heading down the hall. "We want this to be quiet, and Natasha and Pietro can do that. Stay behind with Bruce and make sure he doesn't go green on us."

"Whatever you say old man," he replied, and Steve rolled his eyes but continued on. A swift breeze blew by him, and he turned his head to find Pietro walking alongside of him. "Any problems?" he asked him.