Chapter 58

||You are so brave and quiet, I forget you are suffering.||

Wanda woke with a jolt, and she sat up, accidentally throwing a ball of her hex at the wall in front of her. Her chest moved violently as she gasped for air, and it wasn't until she saw Pietro's face in front of her that she caught her breath. 

"You're fine, you're fine," he stroked the back of her head as she leaned in against his chest. 

She dreamt of the day she lost Pietro, and how the feeling of him dying nearly killed her. That feeling never truly left, and sometimes, when she was alone, that dreadful feeling would crawl up her spine and remind her of that awful day. 

In her dreams, she was never entirely safe. 

"I fell asleep," she stated, pulling away from Pietro's embrace. 

"Yeah, a few hours actually." 

"Hours? Pietro!" she pushed herself off of the bed and scurried over to the bathroom. Wanda looked refreshed, so perhaps falling asleep wasn't such a bad thing. But it still took time away from working with Emma. "Have they returned?" she asked from the bathroom, splashing water over her face. 

"Not yet," he answered, and Wanda's face fell flat as she recalled the bloody scene with Bucky. Water dripped from her chin as she stared into the sink, and she hoped that everything was going smoothly for him. Natasha and Steve would be running on anger if anything happened to him. Just like she did--for months and months. 

Wanda stepped out of the bathroom, tying her hair up in a bun to get it out of her face. "We need new clothes," she stated, pulling off the red cardigan she always wore. "I can't fight in this," she tossed it to the floor and stomped over to the hidden closet in the corner. When she pressed her hand against the wall, the door pushed out, and she pulled out a black sweater. "My suit is in New York, at Tony's tower." 

"Your suit?" Pietro asked, and she pushed the closet door back into the wall and turned. 

"I was given a suit after--" she stopped; remembering.

"You think I can get one?" he added playfully, trying his best to bring her back. Surprisingly, she chuckled, and she headed for the door before answering him. 

"Ask me again when this is all over," she said, nodding her head out into the hallway, signaling him to join her. "That's not a promise, though," she said, her voice softening. Pietro followed her out of the room, draping his arm over her shoulder. 

"I'll ask you when this is all over because we'll both be here when that time comes," he gave her head a gentle kiss as they walked towards Bruce's lab. "You know I don't like it when you talk like that." 

"You don't like a lot of things," she joked.

"Yeah, well, I can't help it." Wanda grinned, walking into the lab and spotting Emma immediately. She couldn't tell if it was just in her head or not, but the moment Emma turned to look at her, she saw fear mixed with anger. The expression didn't suit Emma, but it was there, and Wanda's stomach turned with worry. 

___

He sat up, feeling a gruesome pain spread around his stomach. Without putting too much pressure on his side, Bucky got out of the bed, pulling off the IV on his arm in the process. 

There were conversations happening outside of the room, but he stepped into the bathroom, locking the door and kneeling down in front of the toilet. Bile formed in his throat, and within seconds, Bucky was throwing up the remnants of his last meal. 

It wasn't much, but his body felt ten times better than it did before. 

"Buck?" Steve knocked at the door, and Bucky stood up, leaning over a bit as the pain seared through him once more. He turned on the sink and washed out his mouth, spitting out whatever was left in his mouth. "Bucky," Steve said again, and Bucky opened the door, resting against the frame. "Are you ok?" he asked, and Bucky noticed the dark circles under Steve's eyes. How long had he been awake?