34 - She Loved Me?

Start from the beginning

[unintelligible]

"She's getting weirdly poetic. Now she said they have an aeviternal love. I'm serious. Only Lila's vocabulary would expand when she's tired."

Resisting the urge to scream, I yanked out the ear chip and stuffed it deep into one of the many hidden pockets of my spandex. It was two o'clock in the fucking morning. The last thing I wanted at the moment was to listen to Annie's whining. 

I raked a hand through my tangled hair and stepped into the bar. Looking around distastefully at the stained walls and peeling plywood, I spotted a very familiar face... And of course he was the cause for all of this.

After plugging my ear chip back in I let out a relieved hiss when I wasn't met by either of the girls' voices. Clearing my throat, I whispered as subtly as I could so as not to draw attention to myself. "Um guys, I might need some back up..."

"Sorry bro, everyone's asleep except you and me," Bat Boy whispered back.

"And when are you getting here?" I tried to sound calm as I massaged my temples. Keeping my eyes open long enough not to fall asleep was proving an unconquerable task.

"Honey! Where did you put my favourite scrubby brush?"

"I didn't touch it, Sarah!" Bat Boy screamed back, before whispering, "working on it!" to me. 

"I NEED it, Noah!" It's a good thing nobody else was on the line lest someone overheard Bat Boy's girlfriend call him by name.

I sighed, "whatever man, just help Sarah and get here when you can." Noah's girlfriend may have been a little bossy, but the two of them really did make a cute couple. They had been living together for just over a year now and the biggest argument they'd had to date was over various missing household items.

"Thanks Gold," Bat Boy gushed before the line went quiet. Shaking my head I sauntered over to the bar and tried my best to look inconspicuous. It didn't exactly work; spandex wasn't the subtlest apparel one could wear in a bar. Eyes followed me wherever I went and I got a terrible feeling that a repeat of Staten Island was going to happen sometime soon.

The bar was a mess. There were overturned bar stools and shattered glass shards everywhere. A few customers hung back to watch the show or were busy placing bets on what was about to happen. Most, however, paid the teenager little to no attention as he ranted on. I had a bad feeling about that...

Eventually I made my way over so I was standing behind the catalyst of it all. He had traded in his usual spandex for jeans and a navy blue tee shirt that hugged his body obnoxiously. Typical. And despite whatever drunk frenzy he was in, his black hair still looked perfect. If it wasn't for all of his slurring and stumbling about, I wouldn't have known he was drunk. I was just about to ask the bartender what he was doing serving alcohol to a minor when I was interrupted by:

"So I told her to get over it and she nearly blew up at me! Would you believe it?" He slurred, throwing his head back and letting out a hoot of bawdy laughter. Meanwhile, the man pinned underneath him was chortling nervously, clearly trying to figure out an escape route. Using my super speed, I ducked between the super's legs, grabbed the man, whisked him away, and was back in my position behind the super before he had time to process what was going on.

He looked down, confused as to how his victim had gotten away before shrugging it off and turning to his now-empty glass. "I like this..." he said pensively before letting it smash on the ground and demanding, "another!"

"Okay, Thor, I think you've had enough," I said quietly, arms outstretched like I was talking to a wild animal. And then he turned... The confusion in his rich blue eyes fading to recognition as he looked at me and his face broke out into a broad smile.